none
SSRS 2005 + CSV data source file

Question

• Hello all people,

I need to read one or multiple csv file(s) through SSRS.

The goal is to provide, for one Customer, a web portal to read csv file as we request a simple statement : select * from [csv file] as a table... and using only sql server products and CSV data source.

So is possible in SSRS to add a CSV file data source ?

In php, we found without pb : http://bitonwire.com/jblogs/read-csv-file-with-php 

And with sql server products ?? 

Thanks for helps.

• Edited by Itse_joke Saturday, June 15, 2013 8:57 AM
    Saturday, June 15, 2013 8:52 AM

Answers

• Charlie,

A french MVP sql server François JEHL as proposed me a solution is working with a OLEDB provider in the data source :

Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=C:\;Mode=Read;Extended Properties="text;HDR=YES;FMT=CSVDelimited"

Select * from test.csv

• Marked as answer by Itse_joke Wednesday, June 19, 2013 10:07 PM
    Wednesday, June 19, 2013 10:07 PM

All replies

• Hi Itse,

There is no out-of-the-box connection from SSRS to .csv files. So you'll need to get the data into SSRS somehow. If you are doing client side SSRS, this means creating a dataset from the .csv. If you are using a server based report, then you need to create a Data Processing Entension. They aren't too hard to write, but you definitely need to be familiar with the .NET language of your choice.

Another way is import .csv files to SQL Server and then use it in reports.
    Four Easy Ways to Import CSV Files to SQL Server with PowerShell

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Charlie Liao
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, June 17, 2013 6:17 AM
  • Hello Charlie and thanks for your response,

My constraints are : from dbs sql server, build if we need views to export to csv files throug ftp in a secure share folder : ok

After, the cust want to read easily thèses csv files through a simple web portable.

So my idea was SSRS to read csv files like a data source.

php technology can do that. But I wish stay with sql server products, and I'm not developper ;-)

I search now someone how has experience from that through maybe linked server with ODBC connection..."maybe" :-)

Thanks for helps.

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 5:41 AM
  • Charlie,

A french MVP sql server François JEHL as proposed me a solution is working with a OLEDB provider in the data source :

Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=C:\;Mode=Read;Extended Properties="text;HDR=YES;FMT=CSVDelimited"

Select * from test.csv

• Marked as answer by Itse_joke Wednesday, June 19, 2013 10:07 PM
    Wednesday, June 19, 2013 10:07 PM