none
SqlServer 2008 Express - Management Studio

Question

• I am totally unable to install 2008 management studio on 2008 express running on XP SP3. Fails VSShellInstalled Rule which is a check for previous release of VS 2008 saying SP1 needs to be installed.

My latest attempt was to install VS 2008 Express C# SP1 hoping that would be acceptable, but NO. C# reports VS 2008 Ver 9.0.30729.1 SP with .Net FrameWork V3.5 SP1. C# also reports a list of 5 hotfixes all stating SP1.

One of the threads on this forum said to check HKLM.....Servicing\9.0 which I did. The value of SP is 1 so I think this is what is expected.

I installed SqlServer 2008 express as part of Visual Studio 2010 C# so I had high expectations that VS2008 would not be required and that Management Studio installation would be easy.

I did read several of the threads on this forum about the problem, but none gave me any further clues as to what to do.

Any help will be very much appreciated.

TIA, Joe

• Edited by jbm417 Tuesday, December 27, 2011 2:13 AM addition info
    Tuesday, December 27, 2011 2:10 AM

Answers

• Hello,

I prefer to install the SQL Server Express With Reporting Services 2008 which is the fullest edition for SQL Server Express 2008, it installs SQL Server Management Studio Express (SSMSE) and this is the best way to avoid to download several huge files.

I recognize that the documentation about the install of the Express editions of SQL Server and Visual Studio ( 3 possible languages VC#,VB,VC++ ) is far to be clear. In fact, the best and easier way is to download and install for example VB or VC#, to download PowerShell V2 and to install it and only now  to download and  install SQL Server 2008 Express 2008  ( my preference is for With Advanced Services ).

To reply to your question : you don't need a VS 2008 Pro to install SQL Server Express 2008 including SSMSE.I have a XP SP3 with SQL Server 2008 Express With advanced Services ( and another instance which is a Developper one, i replace my SSMSE by the SSMS provided with the Developper Edition which is more complete ). And i had no problem for my installs , because the installs have been done in the good order.Unluckily, this order , you will not find it in the VS Express or SQL Server Express documentation , but in the blog of the psssql . Maybe, not a correct way for many beginners who are using Express editions as it is no simple.Having struggled to install of SQL Server 2005 Express, i knew that this blog was the good one to get the best informations.

Usually, people installing SQL Server Express "forget" to install all the pre-requesites which are not repeated in the download page only in another download related to the possible issues and problems ( like the pre-requisies )

To be clearer about the Olaf's reply , VC# Express or VB Express are only "sub" versions of the Visual Studio ( not free Standard or Pro ). And like for the SQL Express 2008, every service pack available for SQL Server 2008 is the same one for all editions, the Visual Studio 2008 SP1 must be applied for every language if you have only the Express Edition , and only once if you have a Standard or Pro edition .

The replies from Jeff and Olaf are all good and clear.

I would suggest you to post the exact and full error messages to get during all your install tries. It would be useful to understand your exact problem.

Don't hesitate to post again for more help or explanations.

Have a nice day

Mark Post as helpful if it provides any help.Otherwise,leave it as it is.
    Thursday, December 29, 2011 12:34 AM

All replies

• which is a check for previous release of VS 2008 saying SP1 needs to be installed.

Hello Joe,

As the message says, you have to install the service pack 1 for MS Visual Studio 2008, there is no other way to get it work..

Olaf Helper
    * cogito ergo sum * errare humanum est * quote erat demonstrandum *
    Wenn ich denke, ist das ein Fehler und das beweise ich täglich
    Blog Xing
    Tuesday, December 27, 2011 7:12 PM
  • Perhaps I did not say it very well, but I have already installed VS2008 SP1 and I still have the problem.

Tuesday, December 27, 2011 9:13 PM
  • I'm a little confused about what you have installed.  One minute you state you have "2008 express" installed, then you state you installed "VS 2008 Express C# SP1" and also "Visual Studio 2010 C#". 

• What version of Visual Studio do you have installed and what service pack level is it on?
    • What version of SQL Server do you have installed and what service pack level is it on?

VS 2008 Express C# SP1 is not the same as installing Visual Studio Express 2008 SP1

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Please mark answered if I've answered your question and vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    Wednesday, December 28, 2011 4:21 AM
  • Sorry for any confusion.

I installed VS2010 express C# and SqlServer 2008 express at the same time on an XP SP3 machine. I then tried multiple times without success to install SqlServer 2008 express management studio.

I then installed VS2008 express C# SP1 thinking this would solve the problem which it did not. As you say

"VS 2008 Express C# SP1 is not the same as installing Visual Studio Express 2008 SP1"

Now I am confused: this link http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=14597 lead me to believe it was.

However, be all this as it may, will you please enlighten me more and also post a link where I can download Visual Studio Express 2008 SP1 that will solve the problem?

TIA,  Joe

Wednesday, December 28, 2011 2:06 PM
  • also post a link where I can download Visual Studio Express 2008 SP1 that will solve the problem?

Hello Joe,

No, there is no Express 2008 SP1 available and you still have to install Visual Studio 2008 SP1, see the link I already posted.

SSMS and BIDS uses the Visual Studio 2008 Shell and therefore you need to install the service pack 1 for VS 2008. 

Olaf Helper
    * cogito ergo sum * errare humanum est * quote erat demonstrandum *
    Wenn ich denke, ist das ein Fehler und das beweise ich täglich
    Blog Xing
    Wednesday, December 28, 2011 4:55 PM
  • Olaf, I did try the link you posted, but the error message said the update is not compatible with any express editions.

I still do not "get" what the requirement is. For example the following link makes no mention of Visual Studio 2008 as a prerequisite.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/billramo/archive/2009/02/20/sql-server-2008-management-studio-express-released-to-the-web.aspx

To re-phrase the question - Is there a SqlServer 2008 management studio express that can be installed for an instance of SqlServer 2008 express (running on XP SP3) that does not require the purchase of a VS 2008 edition for hundreds of $?

TIA, Joe

Wednesday, December 28, 2011 10:37 PM
  • To re-phrase the question - Is there a SqlServer 2008 management studio express that can be installed for an instance of SqlServer 2008 express (running on XP SP3) that does not require the purchase of a VS 2008 edition for hundreds of $?

TIA, Joe

yes there is http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=7593.  It's the same product in the link you provided.

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Please mark answered if I've answered your question and vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    Wednesday, December 28, 2011 10:50 PM
  • Hello,

I prefer to install the SQL Server Express With Reporting Services 2008 which is the fullest edition for SQL Server Express 2008, it installs SQL Server Management Studio Express (SSMSE) and this is the best way to avoid to download several huge files.

I recognize that the documentation about the install of the Express editions of SQL Server and Visual Studio ( 3 possible languages VC#,VB,VC++ ) is far to be clear. In fact, the best and easier way is to download and install for example VB or VC#, to download PowerShell V2 and to install it and only now  to download and  install SQL Server 2008 Express 2008  ( my preference is for With Advanced Services ).

To reply to your question : you don't need a VS 2008 Pro to install SQL Server Express 2008 including SSMSE.I have a XP SP3 with SQL Server 2008 Express With advanced Services ( and another instance which is a Developper one, i replace my SSMSE by the SSMS provided with the Developper Edition which is more complete ). And i had no problem for my installs , because the installs have been done in the good order.Unluckily, this order , you will not find it in the VS Express or SQL Server Express documentation , but in the blog of the psssql . Maybe, not a correct way for many beginners who are using Express editions as it is no simple.Having struggled to install of SQL Server 2005 Express, i knew that this blog was the good one to get the best informations.

Usually, people installing SQL Server Express "forget" to install all the pre-requesites which are not repeated in the download page only in another download related to the possible issues and problems ( like the pre-requisies )

To be clearer about the Olaf's reply , VC# Express or VB Express are only "sub" versions of the Visual Studio ( not free Standard or Pro ). And like for the SQL Express 2008, every service pack available for SQL Server 2008 is the same one for all editions, the Visual Studio 2008 SP1 must be applied for every language if you have only the Express Edition , and only once if you have a Standard or Pro edition .

The replies from Jeff and Olaf are all good and clear.

I would suggest you to post the exact and full error messages to get during all your install tries. It would be useful to understand your exact problem.

Don't hesitate to post again for more help or explanations.

Have a nice day

Mark Post as helpful if it provides any help.Otherwise,leave it as it is.
    Thursday, December 29, 2011 12:34 AM
  • Thanks to everyone who replied. Sorry that I am struggling to understand.

Let me take a few days to digest all the info and I will then post further info.

Joe

Thursday, December 29, 2011 2:16 AM
  • Well I managed to install Sql Server 2008 Express with its associated Management Studio. Won't go into lots of details, but what I finally did was completely re-build the hard disk starting with a full format of C:

I still have a problem that I will start a new thread about.

Thanks again for all the replies, Joe

Monday, January 02, 2012 9:53 PM