none
How to install SQL Server Management Studio?

Question

• I have downloaded SQL Server Management Studio Express from http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=7593, however, I can't find my way through the wizard to simply install it.  The only option available under features is the SQL Client Connectivity SDK.

Unfortunately cannot access it from previous versions of SQL Server 2005 Management Studio, which I have de-installed from my laptop.

Sunday, February 12, 2012 4:37 PM

Answers

• Hi Slyth,

Is there any SQL Server 2005 Express (With tools, Advanced Service edition or SSMSE) previously installed? The SQL Server 2005 Management Studio Express could not be installed side by side with the SQL Server 2008 Express Management Studio, We could see the detail information from this article.

We should be able to sort this out without too much effort. Please follow these steps:
    1. Uninstall Management Studio Express 2005.
    2. Follow the steps for Edition Upgrade documented in this blog . You'll need to be launching setup from either SQL Express with Tools or SQL Express with Advanced Services. ose the option to Add Feature.
    In step 3 you should now see Management Tools Basic in the list. Be sure to follow the blog carefully, you currently have the basic Express Edition installed and you'll need to move it one of the editions that includes the Tools before you are able to install the tools.

Besides, would you please read the article , hope this will help.

To further investigation, please post the error messages logged into the setup log files, which would record the reason while Management Tools Basic was failed.
    If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.

Regards, Amber zhang

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 2:52 AM

All replies

• Hi,

just follow this site - http://www.asql.biz/Articoli/SQLX08/Art3_1.aspx

If that doesn't work you should provide some more information.

Best Regards. Please Mark Answered, If my solution solves your problem.

Sunday, February 12, 2012 5:10 PM
  • Hi Slyth,

Is there any SQL Server 2005 Express (With tools, Advanced Service edition or SSMSE) previously installed? The SQL Server 2005 Management Studio Express could not be installed side by side with the SQL Server 2008 Express Management Studio, We could see the detail information from this article.

We should be able to sort this out without too much effort. Please follow these steps:
    1. Uninstall Management Studio Express 2005.
    2. Follow the steps for Edition Upgrade documented in this blog . You'll need to be launching setup from either SQL Express with Tools or SQL Express with Advanced Services. ose the option to Add Feature.
    In step 3 you should now see Management Tools Basic in the list. Be sure to follow the blog carefully, you currently have the basic Express Edition installed and you'll need to move it one of the editions that includes the Tools before you are able to install the tools.

Besides, would you please read the article , hope this will help.

To further investigation, please post the error messages logged into the setup log files, which would record the reason while Management Tools Basic was failed.
    If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.

Regards, Amber zhang

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 2:52 AM