none
"Exception from HRESULT: 0x800AC472" with PowerPivot/Excel 2013

Question

• I recently encountered a strange, yet repeatable, bug that popped up during a training session I was doing with 5 users. We were all using Excel 2013 / PowerPivot to extract data from SSAS MDM 2012. We all got the following error when attempting to refresh the Pivot Table from the Excel side:

Unhandled exception has occurred in a component in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue.
    Exception from HRESULT: 0x800AC472.

See here for the full error text. Here are the steps taken to reproduce this error:

1. Open a fresh worksheet and import some data into PowerPivot
    2. Go straight to the "diagram view" without saving the file
    3. Rename some of the columns from the diagram view
    4. Create a Pivot Table
    5. Right click the Pivot Table and hit Refresh

After hitting "Continue" Excel proceeds to crash all add-ins and won't work correctly until you perform a system reboot and disable/enable the add-ins again.

It's important to note that this error happened for a bunch of users at the same time, doing the same thing, running different versions of Windows, etc. I'm fairly sure this is a bug. Any help would be appreciated.

• Edited by Jondlm Thursday, March 28, 2013 7:32 PM Html typo...
    Thursday, March 28, 2013 7:32 PM

Answers

• I am not from a product team and I am not familiar with your data, but one thing I saw with Office 2013 is that sometimes excel.exe process keeps running after you close Excel. When that happens, no add-ins are loaded when you start Excel again. To get the add-ins to load, you can kill excel.exe process in the task manager (which is faster than rebooting a computer).

Tatyana Yakushev [PredixionSoftware.com]

Saturday, March 30, 2013 5:17 AM