none
How to deploy a single package in SSIS 2012?

Question

• Hello Friends,

Currently I am using the SSIS 2012, it is good and improves a lot in various aspects.

My project includes about 30 packages. It is easy to wholy deploy to my server by right clicking and "deploy". However, I found the deployment granularity is on the project level instead of single "package" level. Thus, when I only wanna update one package into server, how can I do ? re-deploy all?

Reporting service is good in this aspect even in 2008 version. You can deploy only data source or single rdl file.

Anyone has comments?

Derek

Monday, May 14, 2012 3:18 PM

Answers

• Derek,

You still can, for example, to deploy a single package or a number of them one can, and should use the  DTUtil.

As you can see, the ability to deploy exists in many forms.

When it comes to SSIS vs. SSRS, sure they are totally different, e.g. the SSRS is web based, thus you can move data (rdls) quite easily over HTTP (even HTTPS), but SSIS is not web based, thus deploying in SSIS in pre-2012 era is a tad more laborious.

Once you get a good understanding of the DTUtil and its capabilities you will be able to craft very slick automation routines.

For example, I am using scripts similar to http://www.databasejournal.com/features/mssql/article.php/3734096/Using-dtutil-to-copy-SSIS-packages-stored-in-SQL-Server.htm to push updated packages in comfort by having a script sitting in folder called Deploy. When I am done testing in BIDS I push the package to say 1st SIT/TEST environment by executing script DepoyToSIT.bat w/o me leaving BIDS ever,once the SIT is positive, I push it to PROD using a the other script.

Arthur My Blog

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 2:24 PM

All replies

• SSMS-->Integration Service Catalogs-->SSISDB-->Your project-->projects

right click-->import pakcages, this might be the one of walkarounds. but i do not think it is a sound solution. it should enable the single package deployment from SSDT.

Derek

Monday, May 14, 2012 3:22 PM
  • True that SSIS 2012 is more project centric than any.

But to deploy an individual package there is no need to re-deploy the rest, just not from BIDS. Why not to just go to the catalog and refresh a particular package off the file system?

Arthur My Blog

Monday, May 14, 2012 3:23 PM
  • I think you are right regrading the "refreshing from the file".

The question is that you can do so (deploy any single data source or single report in BIDS SSRS project) but why not in SSIS. I am trying to find the reason, which might promote my understanding over this.

Derek

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 2:37 AM
  • Derek,

You still can, for example, to deploy a single package or a number of them one can, and should use the  DTUtil.

As you can see, the ability to deploy exists in many forms.

When it comes to SSIS vs. SSRS, sure they are totally different, e.g. the SSRS is web based, thus you can move data (rdls) quite easily over HTTP (even HTTPS), but SSIS is not web based, thus deploying in SSIS in pre-2012 era is a tad more laborious.

Once you get a good understanding of the DTUtil and its capabilities you will be able to craft very slick automation routines.

For example, I am using scripts similar to http://www.databasejournal.com/features/mssql/article.php/3734096/Using-dtutil-to-copy-SSIS-packages-stored-in-SQL-Server.htm to push updated packages in comfort by having a script sitting in folder called Deploy. When I am done testing in BIDS I push the package to say 1st SIT/TEST environment by executing script DepoyToSIT.bat w/o me leaving BIDS ever,once the SIT is positive, I push it to PROD using a the other script.

Arthur My Blog

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 2:24 PM
  • Tuesday, May 14, 2013 8:31 PM