none
AdventureWorks2008 placeholder.txt is corrupted

    Question

  • I just received a copy of the MCTS 70-433 Training Kit.  When I try to install the AdventureWorks2008 sample database from the CD, I am able to Attach the database, but if I reboot the computer or try to perform a backup of the database I get this error:

    FILESTREAM's file system log record 'placeholder.txt' under log folder '\\?\C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\DATA\Documents\$FSLOG' is corrupted.  (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 5511)
    Sunday, June 07, 2009 1:49 AM

Answers

  • Hi Nicolas,

      I found a workaround for this problem.  It is a lot of work but it's the only possibility I know of so far.

    1. Delete the AdventureWorks2008 database in SSMS.
    2. Follow the hyperlink from the Chapter 1 introduction, http://msftdbprodsamples.codeplex.com/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=18407
    3. Download the x86.msi or appropriate package.  It is around 60 MB.
    4. Run the downloaded file.  It will install several databases in your test server.
    5. Go back to SSMS to see the new copy of AdventureWorks2008.

    Enjoy

    Monday, June 08, 2009 12:22 PM

All replies

  • hi everybody... i have the same issue... :(
    I dont know how can i put online the database after it get suspect.

    Regards

    Monday, June 08, 2009 4:56 AM
  • Hi Nicolas,

      I found a workaround for this problem.  It is a lot of work but it's the only possibility I know of so far.

    1. Delete the AdventureWorks2008 database in SSMS.
    2. Follow the hyperlink from the Chapter 1 introduction, http://msftdbprodsamples.codeplex.com/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=18407
    3. Download the x86.msi or appropriate package.  It is around 60 MB.
    4. Run the downloaded file.  It will install several databases in your test server.
    5. Go back to SSMS to see the new copy of AdventureWorks2008.

    Enjoy

    Monday, June 08, 2009 12:22 PM
  • Thanks a lot...

    Now i can work with AdventureWorks without restoring every day :P

    See you
    Monday, June 08, 2009 6:05 PM
  • Hello,

    I also had the same problem.  My solution was a little different.  I moved placeholder.txt to the parent folder (it could even be deleted).  I restarted the service and then I was able to backup the database.  The database no longer showed up as suspect.  I don't know if it would help in your case, but it worked in my situation.

    Regards,
    Sami
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 2:53 PM
  • Hi Nicolas,

      I found a workaround for this problem.  It is a lot of work but it's the only possibility I know of so far.

    1. Delete the AdventureWorks2008 database in SSMS.
    2. Follow the hyperlink from the Chapter 1 introduction, http://msftdbprodsamples.codeplex.com/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=18407
    3. Download the x86.msi or appropriate package.  It is around 60 MB.
    4. Run the downloaded file.  It will install several databases in your test server.
    5. Go back to SSMS to see the new copy of AdventureWorks2008.

    Enjoy


    The SQL2008.AdventureWorks_All_Databases.x64.msi is the correct installer package for SQL Server 2008 x64.  I had to uninstall all previous databases, then run the installer to get it to work.
    Monday, July 13, 2009 5:12 PM
  • Sami,

    This worked perfectly!!!

    Thank you,

    Oscar

    Tuesday, March 22, 2011 2:58 AM
  • Hello,

    Thanks Sami - your solution worked for me too.

    Howard

    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 10:08 PM
  • Hello,

    I also had the same problem.  My solution was a little different.  I moved placeholder.txt to the parent folder (it could even be deleted).  I restarted the service and then I was able to backup the database.  The database no longer showed up as suspect.  I don't know if it would help in your case, but it worked in my situation.

    Regards,
    Sami

    Hi Sami

     

    Can you please tell me where is this placeholder.txt file located. I got the same problem but its not with installation or deattaching the databases. The problem is that my database gone in to suspected mode due to auto fail during recovery :)

    Thursday, October 27, 2011 7:04 PM