none
SQL Server 2008 R2 install error "Cannot find startup handle"

Question

• Hello,

I am trying to install SQL Server 2008 R2 on a Windows Server 2008 Standard OS. I've installed SQL Server plenty of times but this time I can't seem to locate the cause of the problem.

I am trying to install SQL Server 2008 R2, Reporting Services and Integrated Services.

Both SQL Server 2008 R2 and Reporting Services fail. Integrated Services however, succeeds.

In case it matters (I'm sure it does) I'm running in a Virtual Machine. The intended deployment is through Hyper-V, however, we are staging the virtual image on a desktop computer running Virtual PC 4.7.

It is not being installed in an Active Directory environment.

The database engine is being installed with Full-text support.

Windows Authentication is being used (No SQL Auth).

Reporting Services is being installed with default native settings.

The specific error message is: "Could not find the database engine startup handle."

I'm not sure what else I can try. I have tried installing the engine by itself (no reporting services) but it fails there too. This is the first time I've ever tried installing SQL Server on a VM. Is there something special I need to know about?

Thanks.

Owner, Quilnet Solutions
    Wednesday, November 10, 2010 1:01 PM

Answers

• Alright. here it is. You can't install SQL Server 2008 R2 from the ISO using Virtual PC 4.7. After a friend mentioned the ISO reader in VPC 4.7 I got it in my head to burn the ISO to physical media and when I used that disc in VPC 4.7 SQL Server 2008 R2 installed correctly.

I've very new to using VMs. Is this normal? I installed Server 2008 from an ISO without problems.

Either way it's fixed. Thanks for all the input.

Owner, Quilnet Solutions
    • Marked as answer by Quilnux Wednesday, November 10, 2010 5:15 PM
    Wednesday, November 10, 2010 5:15 PM

All replies