none
Licensing Reporting Services

Question

• Hello,
    I am going to replace our aging 7.0 server and install 2005 Standard.
    I want to use the new Reporting Services, and I have a question about the licensing.

I will have Reporting Services installed on the SQL Server. It's just the one machine with one processor. Reporting Services will be pulling data from the same machine it is installed to

The reports are entirely for internal use (i.e. not a public web)

I have 5 CALs for the 2005 at this time.

I confess I'm slightly confused about the costs for Reporting Services.
    RS is on the 2005 disks, it is not a separate program you purchase?
    I install it, do I need to purchase some other license besides the 2005 Standard one I bought? Do the CALs I have count towards CALs for RS, or do I need distinct CALs for that service?
    I've seen the microsoft website's explanation of licensing for SQL, but it's clear about # of processors and whether RS is on one machine, accessing data on another, but I'm not 100% clear on what the licensing involves, so please, if  you know a clearer explanation, or can answer, I appreciate it.

Thanks in advance for any help

Tony
    Friday, January 05, 2007 6:32 PM

Answers

• First, let me say, if you're using .NET 2.0, you can use the built-in Report Viewer with no licensing; however, you don't get the robust management and admin features Reporting Services comes with. It is worth considering, if all you care about is the graphing, tho. As for Reporting Services (RS), any machine licensed with SQL Server 2000 or later can have RS installed. Notice, I said "machine." If you want to have RS on a separate machine, you need another SQL Server license for that machine. From what I understand, you're wanting both on the same machine, so you should be covered.

A lot of people have been confused about RS licensing, so don't feel bad. But, no, it's not a separate product to buy; it comes with SQL Server. The only licensing issue is where RS exists.

Unfortunately, I can't really speak to CALs. All of the customers I've dealt with have processor-based, as opposed to CAL-based, licensing. If I were to guess, I would say that RS might take up a CAL to connect to SQL Server, but I don't think I've heard anything about using a CAL to access it. Again, I haven't had to deal with CALs in the past, so I suggest you do some more investigation into that specific portion of licensing. Otherwise, you should be covered, from what I can tell.

Friday, January 05, 2007 7:33 PM
  • Reporting Services is covered by the SQL Server licencse as long as you install it on the server you are using for the SQL database engine.

HTH, Jens K. Suessmeyer.

---
    http://www.sqlserver2005.de
    ---

Friday, January 05, 2007 7:38 PM

All replies

• First, let me say, if you're using .NET 2.0, you can use the built-in Report Viewer with no licensing; however, you don't get the robust management and admin features Reporting Services comes with. It is worth considering, if all you care about is the graphing, tho. As for Reporting Services (RS), any machine licensed with SQL Server 2000 or later can have RS installed. Notice, I said "machine." If you want to have RS on a separate machine, you need another SQL Server license for that machine. From what I understand, you're wanting both on the same machine, so you should be covered.

A lot of people have been confused about RS licensing, so don't feel bad. But, no, it's not a separate product to buy; it comes with SQL Server. The only licensing issue is where RS exists.

Unfortunately, I can't really speak to CALs. All of the customers I've dealt with have processor-based, as opposed to CAL-based, licensing. If I were to guess, I would say that RS might take up a CAL to connect to SQL Server, but I don't think I've heard anything about using a CAL to access it. Again, I haven't had to deal with CALs in the past, so I suggest you do some more investigation into that specific portion of licensing. Otherwise, you should be covered, from what I can tell.

Friday, January 05, 2007 7:33 PM
  • Reporting Services is covered by the SQL Server licencse as long as you install it on the server you are using for the SQL database engine.

HTH, Jens K. Suessmeyer.

---
    http://www.sqlserver2005.de
    ---

Friday, January 05, 2007 7:38 PM
  • I want to thank you both for clearing it up.
    I appreciate your time.

Tony
    Friday, January 05, 2007 7:47 PM
  • Hello,

What about the IIS component of Reporting Services? I have a Web server that displays reports for a considerable amount of customers, and the Reporting Services DB is on an SQL Server 2005 server. Do I need any additional licensing other that the one I already have for the SQL Server?

Thanks in advance Smile
    Monday, April 02, 2007 4:50 PM
  • Hello,

What about the IIS component of Reporting Services? I have a Web server that displays reports for a considerable amount of customers, and the Reporting Services DB is on an SQL Server 2005 server. Do I need any additional licensing other that the one I already have for the SQL Server?

Thanks in advance
    Monday, April 02, 2007 4:55 PM
  • That would require a second license.
    Tuesday, April 03, 2007 9:15 PM