none
SQL 2012 - Import Data Wizard - Excel - The 'Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0' provider is not registered on the local machine. (System.Data)

Question

• I have a windows 7 x64 computer with SQL 2012 Developer installed.  In addition I have Office 2010 Professional(x64) ,  and Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate (x64) installed as well.   the SQL Service account is a local Administrative account on the computer and a sysadmin within SQL as is my account as well.   this is a development installation.

I am trying to import an Excel workbook into a database table using the Import Export Wizard.  However, when I complete the data source page I receive the following error.   "The 'Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0' provider is not registered on the local machine. (System.Data)"   in response, i have installed the X64 version of the Microsoft Access Database engine  AccessDatabaseEngine_x64  which seems redundant to the current 2010 Access database installation, but regardless, this did not resolve the issue. 

At one point I had..  uninstalled office,  installed the x64 access engine and tested, restarted tested again, reinstalled office 2010, tested again, etc... without success.

any assist would be appreciated.

SDavis

• Edited by G'B Tuesday, April 24, 2012 4:02 PM
    Tuesday, April 24, 2012 4:01 PM

Answers

• Scott,

The problem you are likely having is the Import/Export Wizard is being launched as the 32-bit version.  This is probably due to you right clicking on a database and clicking on import and since SSMS is a 32-bit program it will launch 32-bit processes.  Try explicitly running the Import/Export Wizard (64-bit) by clicking on Start->Program Files->Microsoft SQL Server 2012->Import and Export Data (64-bit) to import your data from a 64-bit datasource.

I hope this helps.

Noral

• Proposed as answer by Noral Kuhlmann Tuesday, April 24, 2012 4:51 PM
    • Marked as answer by G'B Tuesday, April 24, 2012 7:31 PM
    Tuesday, April 24, 2012 4:51 PM

All replies

• Scott,

The problem you are likely having is the Import/Export Wizard is being launched as the 32-bit version.  This is probably due to you right clicking on a database and clicking on import and since SSMS is a 32-bit program it will launch 32-bit processes.  Try explicitly running the Import/Export Wizard (64-bit) by clicking on Start->Program Files->Microsoft SQL Server 2012->Import and Export Data (64-bit) to import your data from a 64-bit datasource.

I hope this helps.

Noral

• Proposed as answer by Noral Kuhlmann Tuesday, April 24, 2012 4:51 PM
    • Marked as answer by G'B Tuesday, April 24, 2012 7:31 PM
    Tuesday, April 24, 2012 4:51 PM
  • That was the problem. thanks Noral..  

There should be some logic in the SSMS to determine this based on when you open up the Client.

however, ill take what i can get and this is resolved.

thanks again .

SD

Scott Davis

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 7:33 PM
  • Hi Noral

Thanks for this worked for me too!!!

Monday, June 18, 2012 11:45 AM
  • 32 bits only works as follows:

SELECT 
    CODIGO,
    NOMBRE,
    NIF