none
64-Bit SQL Server 2005 (Enterprise), SQL Agent Notifications and Database Mail

Question

•  

We have database mail configured on our 64-Bit SQL Server Enterprise 2005 (SP1) and are able to send test messages from the context menu that appears when selecting database mail component.

However for some reason when a SQL Agent Job fails, no emails are sent to the 'operator' that has been defined for the job.  I have confirmed that we have the operators correctly configured.  We also have a small SQL Agent Job that just sends a test email via the sp_send_dbmail command and that works properly.  However if I deliberately create a malformed parameter in the sp_send_dbmail command to 'break' it...no notification of a job failure message is sent.

I have verified that the service_broker component is enabled...and the status of database mail in the MSDB database is 'started.'

We have setup several other 32-bit SQL Server 2005 systems using database mail...and they all work flawlessly.

After reviewing existing message posts...I am unsure if there is a problem with database mail on a 64-bit SQL Server box.  Some say 'yes' other say 'no'.

There are several MSDN notes about the problem...however these appeared prior to the release of SP1 of SQL Server 2005.

Thank you for your assistance.

...cordell...

Wednesday, February 14, 2007 6:09 AM

All replies

• SQL Database mail which relies on using your SMTP server instead of a mail client to send out email, so check whether that service is started as a first point of check.
    Sunday, February 18, 2007 1:40 PM
  • yes..our Exchange server works properly and is running.  I have several other 32-bit SQL Server 2005 system that are able to send email (using SQL Database Mail) without issue. 

Maybe I have misunderstood your reply and missing something obvious...since this is a pretty basic question.

Thank you.

...cordell...

Sunday, February 18, 2007 3:58 PM
  • As I read KB article 908360 it says that SQL Server 2005 (x64) is not integrated with Database Mail or with SQL Mail in Microsoft SQL Server 2005 64-bit editions. 

But then there is a note that says, "Note In SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 1 (SP1), you can use SQL Server Agent to interact with Database Mail as the mailing system on 64-bit operating systems." 

We have SP1 installed on our x64 SQL Servers but Database Mail still doesn't work with SQL Agent.  The history for any job that fails says, " NOTE: Failed to notify 'DB_Engineering' via email."

QUESTIONS:

Is it correct to assume that there is one and only one SP1 package for SQL Server 2005?  Our assumption is that the currently available SP1 is for both 32 bit and 64 bit SQL Server 2005 installations.  

Does a separate 64 bit SP1 exist somewhere?  

Are there special instructions required for setting up database Mail on SQL Server 2005 (x64) SP1 without using Outlook Express?  If so, we haven't found them yet.

Does this article really mean that Outlook Express is currently the only workaround for using Email Notifications on a 64 bit SQL Server?  (We do not activate Outlook Express -- or even SMTP -- on Production SQL Servers.  SMTP exists on its own machine.)

Please advise,

Thanks,

Ernie

Tuesday, February 20, 2007 4:02 PM