none
Convert Oracle database to SQL Server with all the data

Question

• I want to Convert Oracle database to SQL Server with all the data ,

what is the best tool or way that i could, will there be any probelme while converting datetime fields from oracle to sql server

suggest me the best way to do

Thursday, July 07, 2011 5:55 AM

All replies

• The issue that you have posted is more than a single question and in fact is a project.  Projects are pretty much out of scope for the intentions of the SQL forums.  My suggestion is that you get a consultant to help you -- especially if the timeline for completing your project is near critical.

The next best option is to get a book and do some research to the steps that are required.

Yes, there are many problems that come into play when converting from Oracle to SQL Server.  Here are a few:

• Oracle has PL SQL; SQL Server has Transact SQL
    • Oracle has the MODEL verbiage; SQL Server does not
    • Oracle optimizes queries differently than SQL Server
    • Oracle scalar functions tend to be a bit more efficient than SQL Server scalar functions
    • Oracle returns results result sets from procedures very differntly than SQL Server does
    • Oracle has no equivalent to SQL Server inline table functions
    • Oracle table functions do not translate well to SQL Server (
    • Oracle XML operations are vastly different than in SQL Server
    • Oracle recursive CTEs work very differently than the way CTEs work in SQL Server
    • SQL server has no direct equivalent to Oracle sequences, although this should get better with the next release of SQL Server

(That is 10; that is all I am going to do; please do some [make that A WHOLE BUNCH!] of research into this. )

Stand by and I bet you get some good suggestions to follow.
    Thursday, July 07, 2011 11:12 AM
  • First of all take a look at the white paper: Guide to Migrating from Oracle to SQL Server 2008

And take a look at http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/en/us/product-info/migration-tool.aspx#oracle.

Microsoft MVP Office Access
    https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Stefan.Hoffmann
    • Proposed as answer by Kent Waldrop Thursday, July 07, 2011 12:23 PM
    Thursday, July 07, 2011 11:29 AM