none
Trying to follow prerequesite instructions for installing adventure works 2008

Question

• I am trying to follow the instructions in the prerquisites document at http://msftdbprodsamples.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Database%20Prerequisites&referringTitle=Home to install AdventureWorks sample database with SQL Server 2008 R2:

1. To install Full-Text Search, you must run SQL Server Setup. When you do, select the New SQL Server stand-alone installation or add features to an existing installation installation option.
    2. When you get to the Installation Type page, select Add features to an existing instance of SQL Server 2008, select the instance name, and then click Next.

When I click on “Add features…” I get a dialoge box which says “Browse for SQL Server 2008 Installation Media” and me to choose a folder. I do not know what it wants. Whatever I choose it says “not a valid installation folder”.

Dani.

Monday, November 29, 2010 5:41 AM

Answers

• Hi Gail,

Thanks for your reply. This is a download of express so I don't have a "setup.exe" file, so I have just treated the download file as "setup.exe".  It turned out I had the wrong package anyway.  I eventually got to a page with all six packages on it but if you get to one of the other pages first you don't know about the different packages. A lot of the documentation is burried deep. Thanks to comments left by others who have had problems installing AdventureWorks for 2008 R2 I installed the new version as a named instance instead of default so I have now got Adventure Works installed.

Regards,

Dani.

Thursday, December 02, 2010 6:29 PM

All replies

• Hi Dani, It is looking for the location of the original installation files. For example, if you installed from a DVD, then you need to insert that DVD and browse to that drive. If you installed from a network location, then you need to browse to that location. If you downloaded a free version (express or evaluation), you should download the product again. Hope that helps, Gail
    Gail Erickson [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Thursday, December 02, 2010 12:52 AM
  • Hi Gail,

Thanks for your reply. This is a download of express so I don't have a "setup.exe" file, so I have just treated the download file as "setup.exe".  It turned out I had the wrong package anyway.  I eventually got to a page with all six packages on it but if you get to one of the other pages first you don't know about the different packages. A lot of the documentation is burried deep. Thanks to comments left by others who have had problems installing AdventureWorks for 2008 R2 I installed the new version as a named instance instead of default so I have now got Adventure Works installed.

Regards,

Dani.

Thursday, December 02, 2010 6:29 PM
  • Thanks the solution works for me :-)
    Monday, January 17, 2011 8:06 AM
  • I am facing the same issue. Would really appreciate if you can share the link or steps to avoid this issue.
    Friday, January 06, 2012 6:57 AM
  • Did you get a solution to your problem?

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Please mark answered if I've answered your question and vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker

Monday, February 20, 2012 2:31 AM