none
Text measure help

Question

• Good Monday! I need and advise on how to setup a text measure.

My topic is inventory SKU status daily snapshots on

Status Date        SKU,        Qty        Status (see below)

11/1/2013 SKU000001  25    Current

11/2/2013 SKU000001  25    Current

11/3/2013 SKU000001  25    Discontinued

In DSV I have Status Dimension with all statuses (Pre-Release, Current, Discontinued) connected to this SKU status transactional table. Also, this table is  it's connected to DateTime table (by Status date) .

But I cant create any text measures (getting text measure error). And without SKU status measure I cannot connect Status Dimension (Pre-Release, Current, Discontinued list) in Dimension Usage. please help, how to specify/design Status Measure?

Status could be considered a dimension if it would not be tied to Status Date, so it acts more like Fact.
    • Edited by BrBa Monday, November 18, 2013 6:55 PM
    Monday, November 18, 2013 3:02 PM

Answers

• But I cant create any text measures (getting text measure error). And without SKU status measure I cannot connect Status Dimension (Pre-Release, Current, Discontinued list) in Dimension Usage. please help, how to specify/design Status Measure?

Hi BrBa,

A measure represents a column that contains quantifiable data, usually numeric, that can be aggregated. We can't create a measure with "String" data type. We use the Dimension Usage tab in Cube Designer to view and edit the dimension relationships between cube dimensions and measure groups in the cube. What's the mean that you cann't connect dimension?

We don't know the "Status" dimension table structure in this case, but I suggest you check or create the relationship between "Dim_Status" and "Fact_SKUStatus" tables in your DSV. In this case, I don't think we need to create a "Status" measure, the "Status" dimension did the track.

For more information, please see:
    Defining Dimension Usage Relationships: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms365387(v=sql.105).aspx

Regards,

Elvis Long
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 8:16 AM

All replies

• Hi BrBa ,

You can create degenerated dimension based on the same fact table and use the 'fact' option on the connection in the dimension usage .

But why do you want a measure with text data type ? just for connecting the fact and the dimension ? if so ,

It will be much better to create integer keys at the integration/DSV phase and connect the dimension and fact with regular connection type .

Regards, David .

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 4:59 PM
  • But why do you want a measure with text data type ?

because business users want to track historical status of SKU status and have daily granularity on that.

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 5:03 PM
  • ok, tracking the historical sku status can be achieved with integer codes .. isn't it ? Current = 1, Discontinued = 2 ... or maybe I'm missing something ?

Regards, David .

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 5:13 PM
  • yes...but how integer codes can help here, the status data is not additive anyway...

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 9:43 PM
  • But I cant create any text measures (getting text measure error). And without SKU status measure I cannot connect Status Dimension (Pre-Release, Current, Discontinued list) in Dimension Usage. please help, how to specify/design Status Measure?

Hi BrBa,

A measure represents a column that contains quantifiable data, usually numeric, that can be aggregated. We can't create a measure with "String" data type. We use the Dimension Usage tab in Cube Designer to view and edit the dimension relationships between cube dimensions and measure groups in the cube. What's the mean that you cann't connect dimension?

We don't know the "Status" dimension table structure in this case, but I suggest you check or create the relationship between "Dim_Status" and "Fact_SKUStatus" tables in your DSV. In this case, I don't think we need to create a "Status" measure, the "Status" dimension did the track.

For more information, please see:
    Defining Dimension Usage Relationships: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms365387(v=sql.105).aspx

Regards,

Elvis Long
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 8:16 AM