none
2008 express install fails. Not all privileges or groups referenced are assigned to the caller.

Answers

• I was running the SQL install exe from a different hard drive.  When I copied it to the Server desktop and ran it from there it not only ran faster it installed without a hitch.
    ts1278
    • Marked as answer by 1278ts Thursday, September 22, 2011 4:08 AM
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 4:08 AM

All replies

• Hi 1278ts,

The service was asked to make a set of changes to the privileges in a user account. The requested changes were made for all privileges assigned to the account. One or more of the change requests were for unassigned privileges, so they were not made.
    This is probably not a problem. Try your privileged operation and see if it fails. If it does, see your administrator for help in obtaining the needed privilege.

This issue may occur if the Local Service account has not been granted "Change the system time" permissions.
    You could refer to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892501

If you have any problem, please feel free to let me know.

Hope this helps.
    Maggie

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 1:05 AM
  • I am logged in as the admin and have tried it with UAC turned off and still get the same problem.  I am the administrator, what privilege to what are you talking about?  What does this old issue with the system time on a 2003 upgrade have to do with installing on Windows Server 2008 R2?  My issue is with the admin not having certain privileges, it has nothing to do with the system time.  This certainly is a problem since the installation fails.  Perhaps you could clarify with relevant detail.
    ts1278
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 6:21 PM
  • I was running the SQL install exe from a different hard drive.  When I copied it to the Server desktop and ran it from there it not only ran faster it installed without a hitch.
    ts1278
    • Marked as answer by 1278ts Thursday, September 22, 2011 4:08 AM
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 4:08 AM
  • I am getting the SAME issue on a Win7Pro new installation of SQL2008R2 Express Edition.  I've set the SQLEXPRWT_x64_ENU as Run as Administrator and I've also attempted to install it as logged in under Administrator.  The SQLEXPRWT_x64 executable was downloaded onto the Win7 user's Download directory under his "Joe.DomainName" account.  The user is currently logged onto the Domain as "Joe".

I uninstall SQL2008R2EE and then re-attempt the install process via NEW installation process.  I'm clueless on what the next step should be.  Any assistance helpful.

EventID information
    LinkID: 20476
    Product Name: Microsoft SQL Server
    Message Source: setup.rll
    MessageID: 50000
    Version: 10.50.1600.1
    EvtType: 0xB2652E58%400xDC80C325

TIA

• Edited by total1 Monday, October 10, 2011 3:46 AM Provide EventID information
    Monday, October 10, 2011 3:34 AM
  • I belive the source of my problem was that the admin for some reason didn't have the right to write to the D: installation-expansion directory.  Does your user have full rights (especially write and modify) to the directory that the installer expands the files into before installing?  Did you place the installer file on the desktop you are installing from?
    ts1278
    Monday, October 10, 2011 5:41 AM
  • I have actually solved the issue and done the installation now!  Some of the MS links seemed more 'legal' than 'helpful'.  The message and content are worthless!  ;-((  Since the error is detected why not report the detected data and provide relevant information!

Here's the gist of what I did.  Keep in mind that the message manifests itself as a rights or permissions issue when, in fact, it's NOT!

Solution:
    1) Under c:\Program Files (x86) rename ALL c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL xxxxx directories to another name.  I renamed mine to a different STARTING name so no "Microsoft SQL xxxxx" but a "Joe-Microsoft SQL xxxxx".  Note: This may be related to my SQL2005 and SQL2005 Backward Compatibility that I needed.
    2) Under c:\Program Files\ rename ALL c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL xxxxx directories to another name.  I renamed mine to a different STARTING name so no "Microsoft SQL xxxxx" but a "Joe-Microsoft SQL xxxxx."  You'll find the SQL Instance names that have been created among other directories.
    3) I copied my downloaded SQLEXPRWT_x64_ENU to a new directory off the root of c: from the Win7Pro c:\Users\...\Downloads directory.  Note: I don't think this had anything to do with the solution.

I then successfully ran the installation process using the copied SQLEXPRWT_x64_ENU file.  In my case, the issue is, apparently, the inability of the SQL installation process (and/or uninstall process) to properly uninstall ALL SQL and related components!

Thanks for YOUR help!

Monday, October 10, 2011 12:24 PM