none
rsMissingFieldInDataSet and rsErrorReadingDataSetField

Question

• Hi. I'm working with a sub-report. 
    I need to filter all the rows in the DataSet where a particular calculated measure is null. 
    Everything works fine if there is at least one not null value in the measure. But when in the DataSet this measure has all null values, the report fails with this message: "Failed to evaluate the FilterExpression", and there are warnings about rsMissingFieldInDataSet and rsErrorReadingDataSetField: 

Warning 1 [rsMissingFieldInDataSet] The dataset ‘DQM’ contains a definition for the Field ‘Stock_Ql_Expired’. This field is missing from the returned result set from the data source. D:\VStudio\Projects\DQM Solution\DQM RS\Freshness_by_Brand 4M.rdl 0 0 
    Warning 2 [rsErrorReadingDataSetField] The dataset ‘DQM’ contains a definition for the Field ‘Stock_Ql_Expired’. The data extension returned an error during reading the field. There is no data for the field at position 3. D:\VStudio\Projects\DQM Solution\DQM RS\Freshness_by_Brand 4M.rdl 0 0 
    Warning 3 [rsMissingFieldInDataSet] The dataset ‘DQM’ contains a definition for the Field ‘Stock_Ql_Expired__’. This field is missing from the returned result set from the data source. D:\VStudio\Projects\DQM Solution\DQM RS\Freshness_by_Brand 4M.rdl 0 0 
    Warning 4 [rsErrorReadingDataSetField] The dataset ‘DQM’ contains a definition for the Field ‘Stock_Ql_Expired__’. The data extension returned an error during reading the field. There is no data for the field at position 4. D:\VStudio\Projects\DQM Solution\DQM RS\Freshness_by_Brand 4M.rdl 0 0 
    Warning 5 [rsMissingFieldInDataSet] The dataset ‘DQM’ contains a definition for the Field ‘Sum_Of_Stock_Ql_Expired_Pct’. This field is missing from the returned result set from the data source. D:\VStudio\Projects\DQM Solution\DQM RS\Freshness_by_Brand 4M.rdl 0 0 
    Warning 6 [rsErrorReadingDataSetField] The dataset ‘DQM’ contains a definition for the Field ‘Sum_Of_Stock_Ql_Expired_Pct’. The data extension returned an error during reading the field. There is no data for the field at position 5. D:\VStudio\Projects\DQM Solution\DQM RS\Freshness_by_Brand 4M.rdl 0 0 
    Warning 7 [rsRuntimeErrorInExpression] The Value expression for the textrun ‘textbox14.Paragraphs[0].TextRuns[0]’ contains an error: Overload resolution failed because no Public '<>' can be called with these arguments: 'Public Shared Operator <>(a As String, b As String) As Boolean': Argument matching parameter 'a' cannot convert from 'String()' to 'String'. D:\VStudio\Projects\DQM Solution\DQM RS\Freshness_by_Brand 4M.rdl 0 0 
    Warning 8 [rsRuntimeErrorInExpression] The Value expression for the textrun ‘textbox13.Paragraphs[0].TextRuns[0]’ contains an error: Conversion from type 'String()' to type 'String' is not valid. D:\VStudio\Projects\DQM Solution\DQM RS\Freshness_by_Brand 4M.rdl 0 0 

I think that when there are all null values, rs can't evaluate the filter. 

Any suggestions? 

Regards 

Giovanni Spagnoli
    Friday, December 18, 2009 10:19 AM

All replies

• Hi Giovanni,

From your descriptions, I assume the issue is by design.

I suggest you using expression to solve the issue.
    E.g.
    Expression: =IIF(IsNothing(Fields!field.Value), nothing, Fields!field.Value)
    Operator: "The one you have used before"
    Value: =IIF(IsNothing(Fields!field.Value), nothing, the value)

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask.

Thanks,
    Jin Chen
    Jin Chen - MSFT
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 8:36 AM
  • Hi.
    As I already experienced, if in a dataset field all values are "null", all functions on field values in "Expression" or "Value" can not be performed.

Eg, if i put in "Expression"
    =Fields!field.Value
    and in "Value"
    =nothing
    it works.
    Instead, if I put
    =IIF(IsNothing(Fields!field.Value), nothing, Fields!field.Value)
    in "Expression" or "Value" it doesn't work (or rather, it only works if there is at least one cell of the dataset in that field that is not "null").

It seems that RS doesn't like filters on all null values.
    I use SQL Server 2008 (Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services Designers, Version 10.0.2531.0)

Thanks, waiting for news :)

Giovanni Spagnoli

Wednesday, December 23, 2009 11:03 AM
  • Any ideas?
    Thursday, January 07, 2010 9:41 AM