none
SSRS 2008 Export to EXCEL 2007 Footer Page Problem

Question

• Hi everybody,

I have a report that I am designing in VS Team 2008.

In design mode I have a footer with a textbox.  In the text box I put this as the value property "= Globals!PageNumber".

In the preview it shows up fine.  However when I click the save icon and designate to export to excel (version 2007), I will have an issue after I open that exported excel sheet.  The sheet will continue to say 1 on every page.

Does anyone know the solution to this?

If any more information is needed please let me know, thanks.

Monday, March 11, 2013 4:59 PM

Answers

• Hi Angel,

When exporting report to Microsoft EXCEL, if we don’t add page breaks to rectangle, data regions, or groups within data regions for a report, then all the report contents will be exported into one worksheet, in this case, there has no page break in excel. And if we print this EXCEL file, each page display the page number as: 1 of 1.

If we add page break for the report manually, then the report will be exported into multiple worksheets, each worksheet regard as a page, and if we display the EXCEL file, the content in the first worksheet will display page number as: 1 of 4 (the number of the worksheet). And for second worksheet: 2 of 4. I am afraid we cannot display the page number as it looks like in the original report. However we can click the print button directly when viewing the report.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Regards,

Charlie Liao
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 8:10 AM

All replies

• I found this online:

“The Excel rendering extension can accommodate images and absolute positioning of simple or complex report items in the page header. A side effect of supporting a richer page header layout is reduced support for calculating page numbers in the header. In the Excel rendering extension, default settings cause page numbers to be calculated based on the number of worksheets. Depending on how you define the report, this might produce erroneous page numbers. For example, suppose you have a report that renders as a single large worksheet that prints on four pages. If you include page number information in the header, each printed page will show "Page 1 of 1" in the header.

A more accurate page count is based on logical pages that correlate to the dimensions of a printed page. In Excel, the page footer uses logical page numbers automatically. To put the logical page count in the page header, you must configure the device information settings to use simple headers. Be aware that when you use simple headers, you remove the capability of handling complex report layout in the header region. For more information about modifying device information settings, see Excel Device Information Settings.”

Source:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms159677.aspx

Please if anyone has anything to share on how I can get the page numbering to work it would be great.

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 11:30 AM
  • Hi Angel,

When exporting report to Microsoft EXCEL, if we don’t add page breaks to rectangle, data regions, or groups within data regions for a report, then all the report contents will be exported into one worksheet, in this case, there has no page break in excel. And if we print this EXCEL file, each page display the page number as: 1 of 1.

If we add page break for the report manually, then the report will be exported into multiple worksheets, each worksheet regard as a page, and if we display the EXCEL file, the content in the first worksheet will display page number as: 1 of 4 (the number of the worksheet). And for second worksheet: 2 of 4. I am afraid we cannot display the page number as it looks like in the original report. However we can click the print button directly when viewing the report.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Regards,

Charlie Liao

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 8:10 AM
  • Hi Charlie,

I noticed on my colleagues computer when she exports the report to Excel the paging doesn't work but on mine it does.

This my version: 9.0.30729.4462 QFE

This is her version: 9.0.30729.1 SP

Our version seems different, perhaps she needs an update.  I don't know if it's an Excel issue since she has 2007 and I have 2003, but if I send her my excel document that was exported the paging works correctly on her 2007, so I'm leaning more towards it's the VS exporting the Excel incorrectly..

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 2:38 PM
  • bump
    Sunday, March 17, 2013 4:36 AM
  • Hi Angel,

Please post the error message when exporting to EXCEL 2007, so that we can make further analysis.

Regards,

Charlie Liao

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 1:22 AM
  • Hi Charlie,

There is no error message, the paging is just not correct, it will repeatedly say page 1.

Thursday, April 04, 2013 12:36 PM