none
SQL Browser not running

Question

• After lot of issues with installing SQL Server 2008 Dev Ed on Win 7 Home Prem, finally I was able to install all the features and also successfully apply SP1. After all this, SQL Browser refuses to start.

When I try to start this service from Services, it gives the error message "The SQL Server Browser on Local Computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs."

When I try to start it from Configuration Manager, I get the message "The request failed or the service did not respond in a timely fashion. Consult the event log or other applicable error logs for details."

In the event log I see the detail as "The SQL Browser service port is unavailable for listening, or invalid."

What is wrong with my setup? My environment is as follows:
    Computer: Asus UL50VT laptop
    Visual Studio: .NET 2008 Professional (Version 9.0.30729.1 SP - SP1 packs KB945140, 947888, 948484)
    SQL 2005 Express: pre-installed. I have not removed it.
    Windows Installer: I understand Win 7 comes with 4.5. I was not able to check if it actually that.

I have already have an error free working setup of SQL 2008 Dev Ed on my Lenovo desktop running on Vista Home Premium 64-bit. I want to move this to my new laptop.

During installing it on my new laptop, I had to perform everything twice. First the original one failed first time. Then SP1 also failed first time. Then SQL Browser and Reporting Services were not functional after first successfull installation. After 3rd time install, now only SQL Browser is not functional.

ThanQ...
    Shantimohan
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 6:48 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Thank you for your patience.

Please make sure SQL Server Browser is enabled. Using Configuration Manager, Right-click on SQL Server Browser, click on the Service tab, set the Start Mode to Automatic, then start the service.

Next, open Windows Firewall from Control Panel and click “Allow a program or feature through Windows Firewall." Allow access to c:\Program Files (x86)\Micorsoft SQL Server\90\Shared\sqlbrowser.exe.

Please see the following article:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc646023.aspx

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Saturday, February 27, 2010 2:57 AM
  • Hello,

About your first question, it is not the same utility.

The Windows Installer Cleanup Utility is used to remove applications that were installed using Windows Installer, even when the article just mentioned Office applications.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Monday, March 08, 2010 8:37 PM

All replies

• Hello,

It seems you already have SQL Browser running for the SQL Server 2005 Express instance. You are required to have only one SQL Server Browser per box, it does not matter how many instances you have. The SQL Browser running took port 1434 already.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Friday, February 26, 2010 4:01 AM
  • That sounds meaningful. My findings are as follows:

1. The Path to Executable for this service is: c:\Program Files (x86)\Micorsoft SQL Server\90\Shared\sqlbrowser.exe. That means this is a 32-bit install.

2. I didn't find sqlbrowser.exe in any of the following directories:
          c:\Program Files (x86)\Micorsoft SQL Server\100\Shared\
          c:\Program Files\Micorsoft SQL Server\90\Shared\
          c:\Program Files\Micorsoft SQL Server\100\Shared\

3. That means there is only one service installed. Then why is it not running?

4. If it is because of the presence of the higher version server, how can I remedy it?

5. My SQL 2005 instance is also running and I think I can't uninstall only the Browser component for SQL 2005. While installing SQL 2008, it didn't install Browser first time and but installed it on many trials.

ThanQ...

Friday, February 26, 2010 3:38 PM
  • Hello,

Please run the following command on the Command Prompt of the server:

C:> netstat -aon

If you find an IP address using port 1434 (xx:xx:xx:xx:1434) then identify the Process Id (PID). Using Task Manager you can identify the name of the process using that PID. The following process names should be using that port: sqlbrowser or  sqlservr.exe.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Friday, February 26, 2010 7:24 PM
  • Thanks for your response.

I didn't find any entry with port #1434. Incidentally, I just checked in Task Manager - Services tab. No PID is set for SQL Browser as its status is 'Stopped'.

My issue appears to be an unique one.

ThanQ...
    Friday, February 26, 2010 11:44 PM
  • Hello,

Thank you for your patience.

Please make sure SQL Server Browser is enabled. Using Configuration Manager, Right-click on SQL Server Browser, click on the Service tab, set the Start Mode to Automatic, then start the service.

Next, open Windows Firewall from Control Panel and click “Allow a program or feature through Windows Firewall." Allow access to c:\Program Files (x86)\Micorsoft SQL Server\90\Shared\sqlbrowser.exe.

Please see the following article:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc646023.aspx

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Saturday, February 27, 2010 2:57 AM
  • Not functioning even after doing this.

So, I uninstalled all SQL versions (2008 Devloper, 2005 Express and Compact) fully (at least I thought). Then re-installed 2008. First it failed on very frivilous excuse of one file being in use by another process. That is a SQL install log file and none other than setup were using it. So I again uninstalled and reinstalled it. This time it went through well. But still my SQL Browser is not running. But I observed that:

1. Even now it is installed in Program Files (x86)\...\90\... Why? When I uninstalled, was some remanents left in the Registry?

2. In the Control Panel -> Uninstall list it is listed as SQL Browser 2008. Then why is it installed in ...\90\... directory? Probably is the cause of my woes with the Browser?

3. My doubt about the Registry was augmented when I found that in the server dropdown I found the names of my previous installatioon instances. I have used different instance name this time. So I was wondering where from the old names popping up.

Any further suggestions?

ThanQ...

Tuesday, March 02, 2010 3:03 AM
  • Hello,

Please try using Windows Installer Cleanup Utility. You can download it from the following link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

Remove SQL Server using that utility and reinstall it.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Tuesday, March 02, 2010 11:48 AM
  • Hi Alberto,

I was busy with my work and hence didn't have chance to try it out. But meantime I was scouting the forums for a solution for a compatibility issue with Framework 1.1. In a solution for this issue at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922377, it talks about 'Installation Cleanup Utility'. Is it the same one that you were mentioning?

Secondly, heading of the document at your link mentions of removing Office apps. I hope it gives the option to remove any application.

So I just want to know whether this utility has got that 'abraka dabra' touch?

ThanQ...
    Saturday, March 06, 2010 3:43 PM
  • Hello,

About your first question, it is not the same utility.

The Windows Installer Cleanup Utility is used to remove applications that were installed using Windows Installer, even when the article just mentioned Office applications.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Monday, March 08, 2010 8:37 PM