none
Can I change the location SSRS 2008 uses for custom assemblies?

Question

• According to all the documentation or articles I've read, in order for an SSRS 2008 report to use a custom assembly the DLL must be copied to
    1) For local development on my box:  C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\PublicAssemblies

2) For server deployment: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSRS10.MSSQLSERVER2008\Reporting Services\ReportServer\bin 

I've got this all working just fine.

However, I have a need to put this DLL file in a different location.  Is this possible?  Is there a way to reconfigure the server installation so that it looks for custom assemblies in a different location?  Is there something I can do in the SSRS report itself to force it to look for the custom assembly in a different location?

Friday, September 17, 2010 5:57 PM

Answers

• Hi NElliott01,

Another location to save the custom assemblies it the Global Assembly Cache(GAC).

After deploying the custom assemlies to the GAC, we can call the assemblies directly without copying the assemblies to bin folder.

For more information about how to install an assembly to GAC, please see:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315682

Please feel free to ask, if you have any more questions.

Thanks,
    Jin Chen

Jin Chen - MSFT
    Monday, September 20, 2010 7:01 AM
  • Hi Nathan,

..\bin location and the GAC should be the only two locations to host the custom assemblies.

Thanks,
    Jin Chen

Jin Chen - MSFT
    Tuesday, September 21, 2010 1:50 AM

All replies

• Hi NElliott01,

Another location to save the custom assemblies it the Global Assembly Cache(GAC).

After deploying the custom assemlies to the GAC, we can call the assemblies directly without copying the assemblies to bin folder.

For more information about how to install an assembly to GAC, please see:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315682

Please feel free to ask, if you have any more questions.

Thanks,
    Jin Chen

Jin Chen - MSFT
    Monday, September 20, 2010 7:01 AM
  • Thanks for the suggestion.  I tried it out and it works.

Are there any other possibilities than the standard ...\bin location or using the GAC?

Any way to use a custom folder location?

Thanks!

Nathan

Monday, September 20, 2010 8:02 PM
  • Hi Nathan,

..\bin location and the GAC should be the only two locations to host the custom assemblies.

Thanks,
    Jin Chen

Jin Chen - MSFT
    Tuesday, September 21, 2010 1:50 AM