none
Customize Parameter pane

Question

• Hi all,

I am working with ssrs 2008 r2.

In my report I am using 10 parameters, I want to seperate the parameters into two sets. One set contains filter parameters and another set contains column visibility. Is there a way to seperate the two sets  by a line. Is it possible ?

Can anyone help me on this...

Thanks

Monday, May 06, 2013 7:50 PM

Answers

• That's not possible unless you develop a custom application. Through the method which I explained above they'll appear like this (I'm using underscores for spacing purposes instead of tabs because they are thrown away by the editor, you won't see any lines in the parameter pane):

Filter1 _________ Visibility1

Filter2 _________ Visibility2

Another option is to put all the Filters first, followed by Visibility but in case of uneven filters you'll get something like:

Filter1 _________ Filter2

Filter3 _________ Visibility1

Visibility2 _______ Visibility3

MCITP SQL Server 2008 (BI & DEV); MCTS SQL Server 2008 (BI, DEV & DBA)
    Check out my articles at BI: Beer Intelligence?

Tuesday, May 07, 2013 12:05 PM
  • Manually entering values while running the report is possible but not advisable, although that depends a bit on what you'd like to achieve. If you don't specify any "Available Values" then you can enter them manually. But not having any available values is a disadvantage if you'd ask me.

However, if you just want the user to be able to enter some string that should get displayed on the report then it could be an acceptable practice.

Tuesday, May 07, 2013 2:42 PM
  • Do you really need 10 parameter think about it first. If possible, try to make it customise query and avoid unnesessary parameters. Contrarily you can hide parameter which you aren't going to use or create Sub dataset for all such parameters which are depedent on each other which will reduces query execution time hence will solve report performance..
    Wednesday, May 08, 2013 11:09 AM

All replies

• This is not possible in SSRS.

- Girija

• Proposed as answer by Poven_BI Monday, May 06, 2013 8:49 PM
    Monday, May 06, 2013 8:45 PM
  • Thanks, Girija.

Is it possible in SSRS 2012? If not, is there any other way to solve it.

Tuesday, May 07, 2013 8:45 AM
  • Assuming you're using the Report Manager (or Report Server), you don't have much control over how the parameters are displayed.  All you know is that they are displayed in two columns.  And in the order in which they are created in the report.  So to get your filter parameters displayed on the left and your column visibility params on the right, you should create them in the following order:

Filter1

Visibility1

Filter2

Visibility2

Tuesday, May 07, 2013 11:01 AM
  • I want the parameters like,

Filter1

Filter2

Filter3

Filter4

Visibility1

Visibility2

Visibility3

Tuesday, May 07, 2013 11:55 AM
  • That's not possible unless you develop a custom application. Through the method which I explained above they'll appear like this (I'm using underscores for spacing purposes instead of tabs because they are thrown away by the editor, you won't see any lines in the parameter pane):

Filter1 _________ Visibility1

Filter2 _________ Visibility2

Another option is to put all the Filters first, followed by Visibility but in case of uneven filters you'll get something like:

Filter1 _________ Filter2

Filter3 _________ Visibility1

Visibility2 _______ Visibility3

Tuesday, May 07, 2013 12:05 PM
  • Hi,

It is possible for only two lines of parameters as in SSRS 2008 r2 as place your parameter in order as:

Filter1

Visibility1

Filter2

Visisbility2

Filter3

Visibility3

Filter4

then the outcome will be as:

Filter1                         Visibility1

Filter2                         Visisbility2

Filter3                         Visisbility3

Filter4

Regards Avanish T

Tuesday, May 07, 2013 12:20 PM
  • Avanish: please read previous comments before posting, I already mentioned that in my first comment.

Tuesday, May 07, 2013 12:22 PM
  • Thanks, Valentino Vranken.

I come to know that we can't customize the parameter pane in SSRS.

As of now we can able to select the values from the drop down list.

Can we able to enter a value in the drop down?

Tuesday, May 07, 2013 2:13 PM
  • Manually entering values while running the report is possible but not advisable, although that depends a bit on what you'd like to achieve. If you don't specify any "Available Values" then you can enter them manually. But not having any available values is a disadvantage if you'd ask me.

However, if you just want the user to be able to enter some string that should get displayed on the report then it could be an acceptable practice.

Tuesday, May 07, 2013 2:42 PM
  • Do you really need 10 parameter think about it first. If possible, try to make it customise query and avoid unnesessary parameters. Contrarily you can hide parameter which you aren't going to use or create Sub dataset for all such parameters which are depedent on each other which will reduces query execution time hence will solve report performance..
    Wednesday, May 08, 2013 11:09 AM