none
Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Backward Compatibility Components in SQL Server 2008

Question

• I have a question about Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Backward Compatibility Components that I'm hoping someone can answer.

We have a vendor that requests a SQL Server 2008 R1 Enterprise Database. They then want the Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Backward Compatibility Components installed on both the database server and their application servers. The only issue is they specifically want the older version available here:

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=15748

Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Backward Compatibility Components The SQL Server Backward Compatibility package includes the latest versions of Data Transformation Services 2000 runtime (DTS), SQL Distributed Management Objects (SQL-DMO), Decision Support Objects (DSO), and SQL Virtual Device Interface (SQLVDI). These versions have been updated for compatibility with SQL Server 2005 and include all fixes shipped through SQL Server 2000 SP4.

As far as I can tell, that version was written for SQL Server 2005. There is an updated version for 2008 here:

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=16177

Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Backward Compatibility Components The SQL Server Backward Compatibility package includes the latest versions of Data Transformation Services 2000 runtime (DTS), SQL Distributed Management Objects (SQL-DMO), Decision Support Objects (DSO), and SQL Virtual Device Interface (SQLVDI). These versions have been updated for compatibility with both SQL Server 2005 and SQL Server 2008 and include all fixes shipped through SQL Server 2000 SP4 and SQL Server 2005 SP2.

This version appears to have been written specifically for SQL Server 2008, and includes everything the previous version for 2005 had. The name is puzzling though. On that document page it states:

The Feature Pack is a collection of stand-alone install packages that provide additional value for SQL Server 2008. It includes the latest versions of:

• Redistributable components for SQL Server 2008.
    • Add-on providers for SQL Server 2008.
    • Backward compatibility components for SQL Server 2008.

So on the same page it says backward compatibility components for SQL Server 2008, then under the actual download, says backward compatibility components for SQL Server 2005.

My questions are:

1) What is the correct name for these? Are there two versions of Backward compatibility components for SQL Server 2005 or is one misnamed and should they be referred to separately as Backward compatibility components for SQL Server 2005 and Backward compatibility components for SQL Server 2008.

2) Is there any issue installing the older Backward compatibility components for SQL Server 2005 for use on a SQL Server 2008 R1 Enterprise installation? It wasn't written for SQL Server 2008, and I doubt it's supported by Microsoft to do it, so I'm loathe to install it. 

Thank You.

• Edited by djmills Tuesday, December 20, 2011 6:29 PM
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 6:28 PM

Answers

• Hello,

1) To my knowledge, the correct name is “
    Backward compatibility components for SQL Server 2005”.

2) To my knowledge, there should be no issues installing the old version. I have no seen any issues about it on MSDN forums. Take in consideration also, that they should have tested that configuration, if they are requiring it.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

• Proposed as answer by Peja Tao Wednesday, December 21, 2011 3:10 AM
    • Marked as answer by Peja Tao Monday, December 26, 2011 3:23 AM
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 6:49 PM