none
Can not connect to ReportServer. HTTP 404 - File not found

Question

• I am running SQL Server 2008 Express.

I notice it did not create the reportserver directory in the Default Web Site.  I read one solution that said to go in Reporting Services Configuration Manager and click on the New button.  I can not find the New button.

I think the original problem was my IIS server was not working right so I reinstalled it.  It is working now.  How do I get Reporting Services to recreate the directories?

Thanks for any help,

Fred

Tuesday, June 30, 2009 12:40 AM

Answers

• Just as said before SQL Server 2008 does not need IIS, you only need to know how it is configured on your machine

1- SQL Server 2008 > Configuration Tools > Reporting Service Configuration Manager

2- Under Web Service URL > Configure the service URL as you want but most importantly is to change the port from 80 (default for web server) to any free port such as 8080 > Apply changes and check the URL given to you

3- Under Report Manager URL > Click Advanced > Change the port to what you configured in previous step > Apply changes and check

Thank you
    • Proposed as answer by shineon00 Wednesday, January 13, 2010 12:16 PM
    • Marked as answer by CRdesigner Wednesday, September 25, 2013 7:47 PM
    Monday, December 07, 2009 9:44 AM

All replies

• Starting with SQL Server 2008, you don´t need an IIS anymore to host SQL Server Reporting Services. It uses a http.sys driver to handle requests. Make sure that that the  guideline you are using is acually talking about SQL Server 2008.

-Jens
    Jens K. Suessmeyer http://blogs.msdn.com/Jenss
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 10:57 PM
  • Thanks for the response.

What is the URL for the Report Manager?  I have tried several possibilities but so far not the right one.

Fred

Wednesday, July 01, 2009 1:01 AM
  • That depends what you configured in the Reporting Service configuration manager.

-Jens

Jens K. Suessmeyer http://blogs.msdn.com/Jenss
    Wednesday, July 01, 2009 7:37 AM
  • I am using the default URLs.  The Web Service URL Virtual Directory is ReportServer and the Report Manager URL Virtual Directory is Reports.  When I try to connect to http://localhost/reportserver or http://localhost/reports I get the error message: 

The page cannot be found

HTTP 404 - File not found

I have to start Reporting Services Configuration Manager and start the Report Server.   There are no error messages in starting it so it looks like it is running.

In BIDS I can run the reports but I cannot deploy them because it cannot find the directory.

IIS is running and when I connect to http://localhost it opens up the localstart.asp with no errors.

What do I check next?

Fred

Thursday, July 02, 2009 3:20 AM
  • I am having the same problem. SQL Server 2008 and SSRS are installed properly on Windows Server 2008. Report Configuration is geting open. Problem is the report manager and reports are not opening from browser. It is giving me page not found error. Also Reporting Services I am not able to connect in database, using Management Studio.
    I have tried  following solutions:
    1. Trusted site option in IE
    2. Automatic Logon option of IE.
    3. Friendly user messge ive uncheck from IE
    4. Instead of localsytem network service account option to login to SRS
    5. Creating virtual directory in IIS for givng permissions. (though SSRS 2008 is not dependent on IIS)

Now last thing i want to try is giving roles and access from database security. But unable to do so as not able to connect reporting services through database. It is giving following error.
    unable to connect to the server. The specified URL might not be valid or there might be problem with the report server version or configuration. Specify a different URL or Contact your server administrator to verify that the report server runs SQL SERVER 2008 or later.

PLZ HELP, ITS VERY URGENT. This is the scenario of production server.

In addition let me tell you all SSRS 2008 working on Windows Vista perfectly on my development server.

Regards,
    Prajakti
    Monday, August 03, 2009 7:15 AM
  • Pls how did you resolve it
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 2:23 AM
  • Just as said before SQL Server 2008 does not need IIS, you only need to know how it is configured on your machine

1- SQL Server 2008 > Configuration Tools > Reporting Service Configuration Manager

2- Under Web Service URL > Configure the service URL as you want but most importantly is to change the port from 80 (default for web server) to any free port such as 8080 > Apply changes and check the URL given to you

3- Under Report Manager URL > Click Advanced > Change the port to what you configured in previous step > Apply changes and check

Thank you
    • Proposed as answer by shineon00 Wednesday, January 13, 2010 12:16 PM
    • Marked as answer by CRdesigner Wednesday, September 25, 2013 7:47 PM
    Monday, December 07, 2009 9:44 AM

Thank you

I think the the sql server team assume that it is in any case not a good pratice to have an iis installed on the same machine that sql server runs. That's why they put port 80 as default. Or is it simply a bad default?
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 12:18 PM

Thank you

I think the the sql server team assume that it is in any case not a good pratice to have an iis installed on the same machine that sql server runs. That's why they put port 80 as default. Or is it simply a bad default?

Realy I don't know the actual reason for that but i do not think that they would lose if they just used any other free port
    • Proposed as answer by YSGuru Saturday, May 29, 2010 9:51 PM
    Friday, January 15, 2010 5:00 PM

Thank you
    Thank you for the help.  It's still valuable many months later.  Mike Lupro - BestTechsNW
    Tuesday, June 08, 2010 7:09 PM

Thank you
    Thank You.
    Friday, September 24, 2010 1:22 PM
  • I had an issue with the report manager url returning 404 when only using the HTTP link. The HTTPS link worked just fine. Here's what I found.

I was able to solve my issue of the Report Manager URL not working when using HTTP, but working using HTTPS. A netmon trace revealed that an HTTP 302 redirect request to the HTTPS page. I modified the rsreportserver.config file to update this line:

<Add Key="SecureConnectionLevel" Value="0"/>

The original value was set to 2.

Here is a great post on the different values and a better explanation of the underlying issue:

http://blog.hoegaerden.be/2009/05/24/reporting-services-2008-and-ssl/

Jason Ogle MCITP Enterprise Administrator
    • Proposed as answer by Jason Ogle Wednesday, November 24, 2010 7:37 PM
    Thursday, November 18, 2010 2:31 PM
  • I know this is an old thread but after some serching seems to come closest to my problem...I have sql server express 2012 installed, and I'm able to get into the management studio and query a local machine database I created, no problems.

But when I go to change the connection to connect object explorer and change the dropdown to server type>Reporting Services (currently set at Database Engine), it gives me the "specified URL might not be valid" error.

I've tried starting the SQL Server Reporting Services (SQLEXPRESS) service manually, but it says "service did not start due to a logon failure".

I then tried following the steps above describing going into the Configuration Tools>Reporting Services Configuration Manager.  On the left I see my local instance, underneath it Service Account, Web Service URL, etc. But Web Service URL and all entries under it (Database, Report Manager URL) are greyed out and unclickable.

Kinda got thrown into learning this stuff on my own, any help getting me connected would be greatly appreciated.

PS I use the Windows Authentication method to access the DB, no separate username/password.
    • Edited by LuckyMatt Tuesday, February 05, 2013 5:03 PM
    Tuesday, February 05, 2013 5:01 PM
  • I managed to fix it...for anyone else having the issue:  The items in the Configuration Tools>Reporting Services Configuration manager were greyed out until I manually entered my username/password.  It looked like it was set to use Windows Authentication just like the SQL server management studio, but putting the info in manually by selecting the second radio button got me through.  

After that, I changed the port to 8080 as above and now I'm in.

• Proposed as answer by LuckyMatt Wednesday, February 13, 2013 9:53 PM
    Tuesday, February 05, 2013 5:46 PM
  • If you change the port and it works, most likely something else is using port 80. Using netstat(netstat -o -n -a | findstr 0.0:80) and looking at the PID in services under task manager, i figured out for me it was a brocade service that got installed and wasn't needed.
    Thursday, May 16, 2013 3:17 PM
  • Yes, after I changed the TCP port to 8080, I can access it now~~~I think the TCP port 80 is used by IIS, but not sure...
    Friday, July 12, 2013 5:14 AM