none
How do i move .rdl file from one environment to another

Question

• Hi all,

I have some reports I developed in my machine. Now I have to test those reports in another test box. How do I do this and what are the things that I should take care of?

Thank you for you help and time,

Monday, July 21, 2008 7:52 PM

Answers

• Delete all the reports, change the data source name to the one used on the development machine and upload the reports again. Renaming the DataSource after the reports are uploaded won't work.

Or, you can set the new DataSource for each report. Open the report in Report Manager, go to the Properties tab, navigate to the Data Sources page, browse for the new DataSource then click the Apply button at the bottom of the page.

Monday, July 21, 2008 8:52 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You should just upload the .rdl files to the new ReportServer, using Report Manager at http://yournewserver/Reports.

In order to avoid setting the DataSource for each newly uploaded report, you have to create a DataSource on the new ReportServer with the same name as the one used on your development machine.

If you have moe than few reports, you could use a migration tool like RSScripter: http://www.sqldbatips.com/showarticle.asp?ID=62

Monday, July 21, 2008 8:07 PM
  • Thanks for the reply,

I made a datasource but with different name and tried to change all name that appeared from old name to new name and i got

• The report server cannot process the report. The data source connection information has been deleted. (rsInvalidDataSourceReference)

I also tried creating other data source with same name but still gave me the same error message.

Where and what am i missing? Does it has to do something with <rdBig SmileataSourceID> ??

Thanks,

Monday, July 21, 2008 8:12 PM
  • Delete all the reports, change the data source name to the one used on the development machine and upload the reports again. Renaming the DataSource after the reports are uploaded won't work.

Or, you can set the new DataSource for each report. Open the report in Report Manager, go to the Properties tab, navigate to the Data Sources page, browse for the new DataSource then click the Apply button at the bottom of the page.

Monday, July 21, 2008 8:52 PM