none
trapping Package Validation Error

Question

• Hello,

I created a new SSIS Package.  I want to send an e-mail when an error occurrs.

I set the OnError event to send an e-mail. I then decided to test this so I dropped my input SQL table.  When I drop the import SQL table I get a Package Validation Error and I don't get my e-mail.

Am I making a mistake.  I want to always send an e-mail when an error occurrs in my SSIS package. 

By the way I did add an e-mail at the end of my SSIS package to verify my SMTP is working - it did.

Thanks,

Michael

Wednesday, August 09, 2006 3:21 PM

All replies

• You can set DelayValidation=TRUE on the object that is failing validation. This should result in it getting executed - and failing.

-Jamie

Wednesday, August 09, 2006 3:29 PM
  • Jamie,

We have been using SSIS now for 6 months in a production environment to load our data warehouse. We have converted 40 of 120 DTS packages from SQL Server 2000 to SQL Server 2005 and SSIS. Thus far we have experienced the following issues related to the OnError Event Handler in SSIS:

• Packages have failed during the Validation process and do not generate any OnError events.
    • Packages have failed during execution and do not generate any OnError events.
    • Packages have failed during execution generating OnError events, but the tasks associated with the OnError Event that generate our failure notifications do not execute.

Most of the time, the SSIS OnError Event Handler does work as expected. However, the above issues do occur. This situation obviously causes the data warehouse load process to fail with no email or pager notifications being generated.

My questions to you Jamie is this, a) Is Microsoft working to resolve the above issues? b) What would be the recommenced solution to implement a 100% accurate SSIS package error trapping and notification methodology?

Friday, September 29, 2006 6:19 PM
  •  Steven Scholl wrote:

Jamie,

We have been using SSIS now for 6 months in a production environment to load our data warehouse. We have converted 40 of 120 DTS packages from SQL Server 2000 to SQL Server 2005 and SSIS. Thus far we have experienced the following issues related to the OnError Event Handler in SSIS:

• Packages have failed during the Validation process and do not generate any OnError events.
    • Packages have failed during execution and do not generate any OnError events.
    • Packages have failed during execution generating OnError events, but the tasks associated with the OnError Event that generate our failure notifications do not execute.

Most of the time, the SSIS OnError Event Handler does work as expected. However, the above issues do occur. This situation obviously causes the data warehouse load process to fail with no email or pager notifications being generated.

My questions to you Jamie is this, a) Is Microsoft working to resolve the above issues? b) What would be the recommenced solution to implement a 100% accurate SSIS package error trapping and notification methodology?

a) If they don't know about the issues then they won't be working on it, no. I recommend that you submit an item at Microsoft Connect. You should include detailed repro steps or else they won't be able to identify the problem.

b) I guess I would recommend you do it the way that you currently are. Obviously you are having issues with this which I can't explain I'm afraid.

Regards

-Jamie

Friday, September 29, 2006 6:23 PM