none
Report Builder

Question

• I had a chance to work with report builder a couple of years ago and it was terrible product back then. I have read a few posts that it has improved a lot in the recent versions. We are planning to use it for cube reporting as Excel pivot table has its own limitations. Is the recent version of report builder powerful enough to be used as a substitute for Excel pivot tables? What can I get out of Report Builder that I can't when reporting off of cubes using Excel? Any thoughts are appreciated.
    Wednesday, April 17, 2013 4:19 PM

All replies

• Hi Sam,

From your description, it seems that the version of Report Builder you used is Report Builder 1.0 or 2.0. Report Builder 3.0 offers a number of enhancements to the report design experience. For example, you can add maps, sparklines, and indicators to your reports, rotate text 270 degrees, control page breaks, and create report parts and shared datasets and save them to a report server for others to use. You can include data from new data source types: SharePoint lists, Microsoft SQL Azure, and SQL Server Parallel Data Warehouse. You can do more with expressions, including calculate aggregates of aggregates. Please refer to the link below to see what’s new in Report Builder 3.0 and check if it is powerful enough to be used as a substitute for Excel pivot tables.
    What's New in Report Builder 3.0

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Regards,

Charlie Liao
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, April 19, 2013 2:01 AM
  • thank you, do you know if users would be able to use this to create their own reports or is this tool for developers only? Is there anything developers would need to setup?
    Saturday, April 20, 2013 2:55 AM
  • Hi Sam,

Report Builder is intended for use by nontechnical business people, so this is a tool you can use to create a simple report quickly and easily. Start by selecting a report model and deciding how you want to arrange the data in the report. When you are finished, you can save the report to the report server or you can save it yo a local file.

If you grant the corresponding permission to users, then if they access the Report Manger, they can create then own report using Report Builder.

Regards,

Charlie Liao
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, April 25, 2013 1:29 AM