none
Failure sending mail: Excel Rendering Extension: Number of columns exceeds the maximum possible columns per sheet

Question

• I have created a large tablix report in SSRS 2008 that shows our daily sales for the year by day. I need this to be able to render to Excel 2007 for our execs but every time I try to export it if fails. When I try to email it through subscription I get the following error:

Failure sending mail: Excel Rendering Extension: Number of columns exceeds the maximum possible columns per sheet in this format; Columns Requested: 552, Max Columns: 256Mail will not be resent.

Is there any way around this???
    Monday, November 09, 2009 3:14 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Based on your post, you might want to export your report into Excel but failed because the number of the report columns beyonds 256 which is the max number of the excel columns'. There are 2 workarounds as follows;

1. Still export to excel. For so many columns of the data, generally you will choose the matrix to map the data on your report. Then you can put the matrix into a list and then use the list group-on expression to restrict the column number less than 256 and set page break to the list group. Then this report will be splitted into multiple parts on separate page and will be exported into multiple sheets of one excel.

2. Export to CSV. This format doesn't have the limitation of the number of the report columns. 

thanks,
    Jerry 
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 3:39 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on your post, you might want to export your report into Excel but failed because the number of the report columns beyonds 256 which is the max number of the excel columns'. There are 2 workarounds as follows;

1. Still export to excel. For so many columns of the data, generally you will choose the matrix to map the data on your report. Then you can put the matrix into a list and then use the list group-on expression to restrict the column number less than 256 and set page break to the list group. Then this report will be splitted into multiple parts on separate page and will be exported into multiple sheets of one excel.

2. Export to CSV. This format doesn't have the limitation of the number of the report columns. 

thanks,
    Jerry 
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 3:39 AM
  • Jerry,

Is there no way to change the rendering engine to export to Excel 2007?

Marty
    Monday, November 23, 2009 11:48 PM