none
The specified DSN contains an architecture mismatch between the Driver and Application

Question

• I am running sqlserve 2005 on window7 64bit and when i tried to access the database through an app, I get the error below.

SQLException caught = [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] The specified DSN contains an architecture mismatch between the Driver and Application

Tuesday, July 20, 2010 2:43 PM

Answers

• On the side note, what odbc interface you used to create connection

To manage a data source that connects to a 32-bit driver under 64-bit platform, use c:\windows\sysWOW64\odbcad32.exe. To manage a data source that connects to a 64-bit driver, use c:\windows\system32\odbcad32.exe.

If you use the 64-bit odbcad32.exe to configure or remove a DSN that connects to a 32-bit driver, for example, Driver do Microsoft Access (*.mdb), you will receive the following error message:

The specified DSN contains an architecture mismatch between the Driver and Application

To resolve this error, use the 32-bit odbcad32.exe to configure or remove the DSN.

A data source associates a particular ODBC driver with the data you want to access through that driver. For example, you might create a data source to use the ODBC dBASE driver to access one or more dBASE files found in a specific directory on your hard disk or a network drive. Using the ODBC Data Source Administrator, you can add, modify, and delete data sources, as described in the following table.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms712362(VS.85).aspx

Tuesday, July 20, 2010 4:38 PM
  • Should have asked in Data Access forum... You may get better answer there

Generally, 32 bit application should not have any problems connecting to a 64 bit SQL Server on the same machine. /p>

Are you sure you are running a 32 bit (***NOT 16 bit****) application..?

FYI...16 bit app will not work in x64 bit enviornment.

Tuesday, July 20, 2010 2:57 PM

All replies

• Should have asked in Data Access forum... You may get better answer there

Generally, 32 bit application should not have any problems connecting to a 64 bit SQL Server on the same machine. /p>

Are you sure you are running a 32 bit (***NOT 16 bit****) application..?

FYI...16 bit app will not work in x64 bit enviornment.

Tuesday, July 20, 2010 2:57 PM

To manage a data source that connects to a 32-bit driver under 64-bit platform, use c:\windows\sysWOW64\odbcad32.exe. To manage a data source that connects to a 64-bit driver, use c:\windows\system32\odbcad32.exe.

If you use the 64-bit odbcad32.exe to configure or remove a DSN that connects to a 32-bit driver, for example, Driver do Microsoft Access (*.mdb), you will receive the following error message:

To resolve this error, use the 32-bit odbcad32.exe to configure or remove the DSN.

A data source associates a particular ODBC driver with the data you want to access through that driver. For example, you might create a data source to use the ODBC dBASE driver to access one or more dBASE files found in a specific directory on your hard disk or a network drive. Using the ODBC Data Source Administrator, you can add, modify, and delete data sources, as described in the following table.

Tuesday, July 20, 2010 4:38 PM
  • Surfing around for a different item, but saw this.  I had this probelm as well awhile back.  If you are using IIS as well make sure your APPLICATION POOLS are sre set right.  And if you are switching between 64-bit and 32-bit, make sure you either disable or enable 32-bit application support in the pools.

hope that helps some one with this error someday.

Greg

Thursday, May 31, 2012 10:15 PM
  • Thanks, Greg.  This helped me ALOT.  I was going crazy trying to understand why the ODBC driver was giving me that message.
    Saturday, July 21, 2012 10:57 PM
  • Many Thanks, Greg. it in DefaultAppPool, found in IIS > Application Pools

Regards

Praveen

Wednesday, January 09, 2013 7:56 PM
  • Hello greg.. I also got that type of message that "The Specified DSN contains an architecture mismatch between the Driver and Application".. but I can't understand about APPLICATION POOLS..

I am using HP Laptop with windows 7, 64 bits.. please help me.. 

I can't find help from anywhere.. you can send me mail on nikunjparmar.it@gmail.com

Thanks..

Nikunj

Sunday, February 17, 2013 5:22 PM
  • Surfing around for a different item, but saw this.  I had this probelm as well awhile back.  If you are using IIS as well make sure your APPLICATION POOLS are sre set right.  And if you are switching between 64-bit and 32-bit, make sure you either disable or enable 32-bit application support in the pools.

hope that helps some one with this error someday.

Greg

I didn't understand about APPLICATION POOLS Greg.. Can you help me in that?? I have same problem.. 
    Thanks,

NIkunj

Sunday, February 17, 2013 5:23 PM
  • As a side note to other answers:

Using IIS 8 on a Win2012 64-bit server...but this would be the case on any 64-bit box using IIS 7, IIS 7.5 or IIS 8.

Open IIS, expand the triangle next to the machine name, you should have at least 2 entries, Application Pools and Sites. Click on Application pools and it should populate the middle pane with various options (.NET v2.0, .NET v2.0 Classic, Classic .NET AppPool, ClassicAppPool and DefaultAppPool).

Ok, click the triangle next to Sites, it should expand to show your Default Web Site (or whatever you named yours). Click on Default Web Site. in the far right pane, select basic settings. At the top, it will tell you which application pool this site is using. Hopefully, it matches one of the items above from your list of App Pools.

Go back to Application Pools and select the item that matches what your Default Web Site was using, and in the far right pane, select Advanced Settings. Couple items down under the General triangle, you should see "Enable 32-Bit Applications" If it is set to false, set it to true. Do this for as many sites/application pools combinations as you have that use 32-bit applications.

After 6+ hours, Greg's response saved my bacon. Hope it helps.

Wednesday, June 12, 2013 7:43 PM
  • Thanks All, Gregs Helped me as well

Monday, July 22, 2013 3:26 PM
  • Thanks Chirag,

I tried this, I'mtrying to connect MS Excel 2010 on a 64 bit computer to a MySQL database which is on a 32bit computer.

I got that exact error message so I deleted the ODBC connection I made and tried your solution above. I still get the exact same error message. Is there some flag on the configuration settings that needs to be flagged?

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 4:46 PM
  • Thanks Grainger. That helped me lots :-)

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 8:24 PM

Hi Chirag,

I tried this but didnt work.. and I created new thread.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/097ff93d-20be-41ed-b318-dc51cca0b811/the-specified-dsn-contains-an-architecture-mismatch-between-the-driver-and-application?forum=sqlintegrationservices

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 11:56 AM