none
msado60_backcompat_i386.tlb On Windows 7 IID changes

Question

• My company has been using msado 1.5 for a long time and I have a lot of C++ and VB6 legacy code to support. I am looking at moving us to a Windows 7 environment. I am investigating what components have to be updated to succeed.

Must I use the msado60_backcompat_i386.tlb or will msado15.dll work just fine as long as we don't install mdac 2.8? The reason I ask is that our components can't log in to the SQL Server database on Windows 7 at the moment. (access denied issues)

I read the long thread about the changes to the IID's of msado to support 64-bit Windows 7. (We're still using 32-bit platforms.) I am wondering if our inability to connect to our database has something to do with these mdac IID changes?

-sulu

Thursday, June 16, 2011 1:09 PM

All replies

• Unlikely.  Are you able to provide the exact error message?
    Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt) MCT, MCPD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    Friday, June 17, 2011 2:40 AM
  • Sure,

Here it is:

Failed to open the ADO Connection hr=0x800A0E7A
    hr='Unknown error 0x800A0E7A' ComSource:'(null)'

Monday, June 20, 2011 6:11 PM
  • Friday, July 08, 2011 9:38 PM
  • Hi, do I need to register the Msado60_Backcompat_i386.tlb on the client computer as well?

Thursday, September 01, 2011 6:52 PM
  • Hello,
    After downloading the file mentioned above, do the following:
    - Copy the file to the directory C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\ado
    - Register the file with the command %windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\regtlibv12 C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\ado\msado60_Backcompat.tlb
    OBS. If you should not have the v4.0.30319 directory, then place your respective directory regarding your Framework.
    - In the project, clear the use of reference Microsoft ActiveX Data Objects 2.1 Library, which points to the file C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\ado\msaado21.tlb

- Click on Browse and select the file you recorded earlier.

Tks...

Rafael Zaccanini

MTAC - Microsoft Technical Audience Contributor

www.rafaelzaccanini.net

Friday, January 13, 2012 2:51 PM
  • As a follow up to your helpful information it was my experience that it was not necessary to run the regtlibv12, this in fact produced an error, and the v4.0.30319 directory does exist on the computer.  The key was substituting the existing ADO Data Objects reference with the new Microsoft ActiveX Data Objects 6.0 BackCompat Library.  This is a VB6 project.  Just wanted to clarify, thanks.
    Thursday, March 15, 2012 10:51 PM