none
How to install SQL Server 2005 on Windows 7

Question

• I couldn't find any real help on this one. 

I did find "the recommended solution is to Install Sql Server 2005 and then upgrade to SS-SP3 which works on Win-7".   Apparently, whoever wrote that never tried it.  SQL Server 2005 client tools will install on Win-7 RTM, but the db engine won't install -- all of the engine-related choices are grayed out. 

On the other hand, if you try to just install SS-2005-SP3 without first installing SS-2005 base engine, it updates the client tools, but won't install the engine.

And, if you install Visual Studio 2008 (which installs SS-2005 Express), and then apply SS-2005-SP3, it says that the Express engine is not eligible for the SP3 upgrade.

So, at this point, I can't develop certain application features for SS-2005, because Express won't support 'em, and I can't get the Standard or above DB engine running on my (mostly standalone) devlopment machine.  I switched to Win-7 from Vista because I heard so many good reports about Win-7.  I guess they weren't reports from developers :-(!

------------------------

It seems to me that Microsoft owes us a definitive answer on this, instead of us users just guessing at various things that end up not working. 

Thursday, December 03, 2009 11:20 PM

All replies