none
Failed to generate a user instance of SQL Server due to a failure in starting the process for the user instance.

Question

• "Failed to generate a user instance of SQL Server due to a failure in starting the process for the user instance."

I get the above error message when I try to connect to a database from c# 2008 express edition in Windows Vista. I have been working with c# 2008 normally without this problem for a long time. I developped a small application and it worked normally. After finishing my project I installed Oracle database and started developping another application on the same computer. I got this message when I switched back to c# and try to start my prevevious application (which was working) normally.

can please any body help me with. Thank you in addvance.   

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 1:02 AM

Answers

• Hello,

No need to reinstall your SQLServer instance as it is a "classical" error related to the use of user instances.

You will find the solution in this link :

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/sqldatabaseengine/thread/f5eb164d-9774-4864-ae05-cac99740949b/

Mike Wachal was the person who wrote most of the articles of the SQL Server Weblog ( the official site of the SQL Server Express Team who manages the SQL Server Express product inside the Microsoft SQL Server Team, the reference for most of problems related to SQL Server Express ).

You should have a look at the sticky threads at the beginning of the list of threads of this forum.You will find several threads from Mike and they provide very useful informations about most of problems occuring with SQL Server Express

Other threads about this problem :

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-us/sqlexpress/thread/C00F888B-F4FE-4C26-92D5-9E22C03B56B0

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlexpress/thread/90bef56d-e54e-489d-b318-83701682cb31/

There are at least 4 reasons for these problems and they are evoked in the last link. The most common one is a problem with the user instance directory and 3 times on 4, it is enough to delete this directory.

Another possibility : to replace user instance = true by user instance = false.You will use SQL Server Express as a normal edition.

4 remarks :

- user instance is specific to SQL Server Express edition and cannot be used versus a Standard or any not-free edition

- SQL Server Denali (2012) will be the last version supporting the user instance feature.It is a nice feature which is usually used in a bad way without understanding the problems which may occur

- the Express Editions of Visual Studio are responsible of most errors, as it proposes by default a connection with user instance = true and you have to display the advanced properties of the connection form to change the value of the user instance property.

- if you have a look to Mike Wachal's sticky threads, you will discover that it is not easy to backup/restore files from user instances.You cannot use remote connections nor SQL Server authentification and i am not sure that the Reporting Services are usable versus user instances.

Anyway, the uninstall/reinstall method is the last method when the instance is completely destroyed , you are not in this case ( i hope for you ).

Don't hesitate to post again for more help or explanations.

Have a nice day

Mark Post as helpful if it provides any help.Otherwise,leave it as it is.
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 8:51 AM

All replies

• Hi,

try to reinstalled your sql2008Xpress

Regards, Ryan Lambatan
    Please "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful"
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 1:42 AM
  • Hello,

No need to reinstall your SQLServer instance as it is a "classical" error related to the use of user instances.

You will find the solution in this link :

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/sqldatabaseengine/thread/f5eb164d-9774-4864-ae05-cac99740949b/

Mike Wachal was the person who wrote most of the articles of the SQL Server Weblog ( the official site of the SQL Server Express Team who manages the SQL Server Express product inside the Microsoft SQL Server Team, the reference for most of problems related to SQL Server Express ).

You should have a look at the sticky threads at the beginning of the list of threads of this forum.You will find several threads from Mike and they provide very useful informations about most of problems occuring with SQL Server Express

Other threads about this problem :

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-us/sqlexpress/thread/C00F888B-F4FE-4C26-92D5-9E22C03B56B0

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlexpress/thread/90bef56d-e54e-489d-b318-83701682cb31/

There are at least 4 reasons for these problems and they are evoked in the last link. The most common one is a problem with the user instance directory and 3 times on 4, it is enough to delete this directory.

Another possibility : to replace user instance = true by user instance = false.You will use SQL Server Express as a normal edition.

4 remarks :

- user instance is specific to SQL Server Express edition and cannot be used versus a Standard or any not-free edition

- SQL Server Denali (2012) will be the last version supporting the user instance feature.It is a nice feature which is usually used in a bad way without understanding the problems which may occur

- the Express Editions of Visual Studio are responsible of most errors, as it proposes by default a connection with user instance = true and you have to display the advanced properties of the connection form to change the value of the user instance property.

- if you have a look to Mike Wachal's sticky threads, you will discover that it is not easy to backup/restore files from user instances.You cannot use remote connections nor SQL Server authentification and i am not sure that the Reporting Services are usable versus user instances.

Anyway, the uninstall/reinstall method is the last method when the instance is completely destroyed , you are not in this case ( i hope for you ).

Don't hesitate to post again for more help or explanations.

Have a nice day

Mark Post as helpful if it provides any help.Otherwise,leave it as it is.
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 8:51 AM