none
SQL-Server 2005 SQL Server (SQLEXPRESS) service does not start automatic

Question

• Hi there,

I dont know whether i am at right place or not (please excuse me, if so)

I am using SQL-Server 2005.

My SQL Server (SQLEXPRESS) service does not start automatic (although it’s been set as automatic).

The thing is, if I try to start it manually it throws an error as

“Windows could not start the SQ Server (SQLEXPRESS) on local computer. For more information, review the system Event Log. If this is a non-Microsoft service, contact the service vendor, and refer to service-specific error code 17058.”

I too check the Event Log it show as

“The SQL Server (SQLEXPRESS) service terminated with service-specific error 17058 (0x42A2).

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp

But this link does not exist.

Thing i notice is that, this start happen when i install the SharePoint Services with Microsoft SQL Server Desktop Engine (Windows) (WMSDE) & uninstall.

After this i am not able to start that service successfully.

Please help me

Regards,

Thanks.

Gurpreet S Gill.

Thursday, August 17, 2006 12:41 PM

Answers

•  

thats another fix that i found

first open sql server configuration manager then select services

find sql server (mssqlserver or sqlexprees who is the failure) right click -> properties

select the advanced tab from the services properties window and be sure the startup parameters

typing correctly

for ex: there is a 2005 developer edition

-dC:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.2\MSSQL\DATA\master.mdf;-eC:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.2\MSSQL\LOG\ERRORLOG;-lC:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.2\MSSQL\DATA\mastlog.ldf

***you find your path same tab(advanced tab) named Data Path

Friday, September 05, 2008 1:13 AM

All replies

• MSDE normally upgrades to SQL Server if it is installed.  In your case, it is the other way around.  I would recommend you uninstall SQL Server 2005 Express, uninstall Sharepoint, reinstall Sharepoint back, then reinstall SQL Server 2005 Express back.
    Thursday, August 17, 2006 1:23 PM
  • Thaks Bass_Player

but can you or any body else suggest me the other way out of the problem(except uninstalling).

Regards,

Gurpreet S. Gill

Friday, August 18, 2006 4:55 AM
  • Hi

i have Microsoft Windows Update service 2.0 installed, i downloaded new version MWUS 3.0 beta when i installing i got some error for that installation is terminated, I restarted my installation then SQL server 2005 Embedded edition service is stopped, when i starting every time i am getting this error:

The SQL Server 2005 Embedded Edition (MICROSOFT##SSEE) service terminated with service-specific error 17058 (0x42A2).

Please any one suggest me what I have to do?

Thursday, November 09, 2006 10:41 AM
  • Hi there,

I had the same problem, and I solved it by changing that the service should start by the local system admin from its properties. hope that helps.

Tuesday, June 12, 2007 4:40 PM
  • thx,it's ok!
    Wednesday, April 30, 2008 5:09 AM
  • I found that this error code (got on SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition) was due to the access rights of the account used to run the SQL Server Service.  The shotgun-approach fix is to make that account a member of the local machine's Administrators group.
    Wednesday, May 07, 2008 5:12 PM
  •  

thats another fix that i found

first open sql server configuration manager then select services

find sql server (mssqlserver or sqlexprees who is the failure) right click -> properties

select the advanced tab from the services properties window and be sure the startup parameters

typing correctly

for ex: there is a 2005 developer edition

-dC:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.2\MSSQL\DATA\master.mdf;-eC:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.2\MSSQL\LOG\ERRORLOG;-lC:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.2\MSSQL\DATA\mastlog.ldf

***you find your path same tab(advanced tab) named Data Path

Friday, September 05, 2008 1:13 AM
  • Hi All,
    recently I had the same issue.. The SQL Server (MSSQLServer) service terminated with service-specific error 17058 (0x42A2).
    I have fixed the issue by providing full control for the SQL services account on (Network service account in my case) errorlog physical path "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\LOG\ERRORLOG" and to the Tempdb physical path.

hope this will resolve the issue.

-Tulasi Korivi
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 11:53 PM
  • Hi,

I have run into the same problem - and apparently some others. Visual Studio 2008 requires SQLEXPRESS for interaction with the App_Data folder in Web Projects. I downloaded SQLEXPR32_x86_ENU.exe Version 10.0.1600.22 to my local system to install a named instance of SQLEXPRESS on my local machine. One day and five installs/uninstalls later I am beginning to wonder. I have used both NT AUTHORITY and Local System as Service account without success. I still have about 3G left on this hard drive but with each iteration, it is getting smaller. At one time I was able to start the service but it would 'spontaneously' stop.

A collection of errors reported on different installation attempts is as follows:
        The SQL Server (SQLEXPRESS) service terminated with service-specific error 17058
        Wait on the Database Engine recovery handle failed.
        Error: 15209, Severity: 16, State: 1 An error occurred during encryption.
        The SQL Server (SQLEXPRESS2008) service terminated with service-specific error 2148081668 (0x80092004).

I am sure I am either using the wrong cab file or am doing something so wrong I can't see it. Is there some location that will give stepwise instructions - other than the installation program - that will improve my chances of being able to sucessfully load SQLEXPRESS?

Thanks

Dennis Keith

dk
    Friday, October 02, 2009 4:53 PM
  • This error is also thrown when instance of SQL server is running, killing sqlservr.exe through Task Manager Processes wil resolve it!

student
    Monday, October 05, 2009 5:40 PM
  • Hi Gurpeet,

The service account used to run the SQL Service should have Local Admin permission.  Please add the service account to the local system Administrator group

Thanks,
    Sankar
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 5:44 AM
  • Hi Sankar,

How do you "add the service account to the local system Administrator group?"

John

Friday, May 14, 2010 5:12 AM