none
Why no SQL2k8 Express Edition with Advanced Services with SP1, but there is for SQL2k8 Express Edition?

Question

• This is both a question and a suggestion please :-)

I noticed there is a SQL 2008 Express Edition with SP1 integrated, but there isnt an integrated version for the Advanced Services Express Edition.

This makes it kind of confusing IMO.  Why do it for one and not the other?

I know we can slipstream it ourselves, but why not make it easy/convenient for the throngs of people who want the Advanced Services edition....

Please please please add a 2k8 with advanced services with SP1 to the downloads.

Thanks,

Joe

Thursday, May 14, 2009 5:55 AM

All replies

• I agree.  It's double the work and support to do both installs.

-Pat-
    PatD
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 5:59 AM
  • Hi Joe & Pat,

The standard behavior for all SQL Server 2008 editions is that they are released as RTM installer packages and you move to SP1 by applying a patch. This behavior is supported for Express edition all the way up to Enterprise edition. In the case of SQL Express Core we've taken the additional step of "pre-integrating" the SP1 patch into the installer package in order to support the use of this package in deployment scenarios, i.e. where you embed the SQL Express installer within an application you are deploying, which is a primary scenario for the SQL Express 2008 Core package. Deployment is not a primary scenario for Express Advanced so we did not take this extra step of integrating SP1.

Ultimately this is a a straight numbers game; the number of people installing SQL Express 2008 Core is way higher than other editions because of the deployment scenario. SQL Server 2008 SP1 has been released to Microsoft Update, so installing SP1 doesn't really require anything beyond scanning your computer and selecting the patch to be applied; after that Microsoft Update downloads and installs the update in the background. For what it's worth, I just went through the process of applying the SP1 patch on my own computer using Microsoft Update and it happened quickly and without error. I find the Microsoft Update experience far superior to having to run through the installer (again) and recomend using this approach rather than downloading and running the SP manually.

Regards,
    Mike
    If this post answers your question, please mark it as an Answer - it will help others searching the forum. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, May 15, 2009 10:17 PM
  • I agree too! Microsoft Update is not a good way because: 1) it is disabled by default. 2) the SP1 doesn't get installed automatically because it is not a critical update. 3) most users don't even care about manually opening "windows update" and applying non critical updates. 2008 Express with advanced services with SP1 is a must have! We actually have to deploy 500+270mb of software for SQL Server only and we take more than an hour to install them both.
    Monday, July 06, 2009 1:11 PM
  • You can't even install SQL Server 2008 Express with Advanced Services, on Windows 7 without receiving a warning about incompatibility. You need SP1. 

So, for the "deployment scenarios where the SQL installer is embedded" you tell us were the rationale for pre-integrating the SP1 patch, you can't actually install your latest SQL Express product with advanced services, on your latest operating system, without an annoying, support call generating, popup about the program not being supported on this environment.

This is not satisfactory.
    Thursday, March 04, 2010 2:02 AM