none
MSXML6 Installer Error; MSDN SQL 2005 Setup Failure; "failed because a higher version"; "system administrator set policies"

Question

• I had similar problem as above, but had to add an additional registry editing step (not listed).

Here's complete write up of the steps that worked on this pc... (Thanks to the tip for the first fix from Xiaochuan's spaces http://cid-c06fe3569bc575d9.spaces.live.com/)

Initial Problem: Error installing MSDN SQL 2005 on Windows XP pro SP 2, due to MSXML6 "Setup Failed"

After reading plenty of posts, determine failure is isolated to running msxml6.msi installer.

I had two different errors running the MSXML6 installer.

Error #1 - MSXML6 (msxlm6.msi) install fails because "the system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation ..."

Error #2 - "Installation of MSXML 6.0 Parser failed because a higher version is already exits on the machine. To proceed, uninstall the higher version and then run MSXML 6.0 Parser Setup again."

So here's the steps that fixed both, and allowed msxml6.mxi to be inastlled... and subsequently sql msdn...

Install #1 - Run msxml6.msi (you can get this off SQL install CD (in D:\ENGLISH\SQL2005\DEVELOPER\SQL Server x86\Server\Setup\msxml6.msi) or download it)

Error #1 - MSXML6 (msxlm6.msi) install fails because "the system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation ..."

Fix #1 -

1. Open regedit.exe from "Start->Run"
    2. Find the path via "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT -> Installer -> Products"
    3. Delete all the subkeys if they don't contain
       anything (there is no "+" before their folder icons ) under "Products".

Install #2 - Re-run msxml6.msi

Error #2 - "Installation of MSXML 6.0 Parser failed because a higher version is
    already exits on the machine. To proceed, uninstall the higher version
    and then run MSXML 6.0 Parser Setup again."

Fix #2

1. Open regedit from "Start->Run"
    2. Find a folder similar to Hkey_local_machine\software\classes\installer\products\5A6FB34A0F5DAAA4FB1456990536CE44
    3. Select it and check the keys inside it to confirm it is the MSXML6 parser key
    4. Copy key to text file (it may be different than the above)
    5. Delete this key
    6. Search through the rest of the registry, and delete all references (keys and folders) to this key.
    (Note step 6 may not be necessary... you could try after step 5)

Install #3 try msxml6.msi installer for the third time... it works for me... four hours later.

Saturday, June 07, 2008 1:42 AM

Answers

•  mxparker wrote:

Fix #1 -

I had the same problem on my system. However, you just need to remove the subkey from the Products group which contains "XML Parser 6" as it's product name. You can verify it by selecting the subkey and on the right you should be seeing several keys, including the "ProductName". If it states anything other then the XML Parser 6, you might as well leave it be. (^_~ )

mxparker wrote:

Fix #2

2. Find a folder similar to Hkey_local_machine\software\classes\installer\products\5A6FB34A0F5DAAA4FB1456990536CE44
    3. Select it and check the keys inside it to confirm it is the MSXML6 parser key
    5. Delete this key
    6. Search through the rest of the registry, and delete all references (keys and folders) to this key.

If you can't find key "5A6FB34A0F5DAAA4FB1456990536CE44", then it doesn't nessaceraly mean that the key doesn't exist. Try looking for the "XML Parser 6" text within the Hkey_local_machine\software\classes\installer\products group. When found, delete it and try again.

Also, when you are using Windows XP, you might get the message that the file "C:\windows\system32\msxml6r.dll" is currently being protected by Windows and that you may need to update your operating system.  At this moment you might have already updated your Windows XP version to Service Pack 3. According to Mike Wachal (post: https://forums.microsoft.com/msdn/ShowPost.aspx?PageIndex=0&SiteID=1&PageID=0&PostID=3267649), the msxml6 has been included within the Windows File Protection system, which will generate a conflict between the version being installed by SQL Server 2005 and the version already installed with SP3 (which is probably the SP1 version of the msxml6).

Thanks to Simon4's post (located at the bottom of the https://forums.microsoft.com/msdn/ShowPost.aspx?PageIndex=0&SiteID=1&PageID=0&PostID=3267649 page), i've performed the following steps to successfully install SQL Server 2005 on a Windows XP SP3 system:

- Perform the steps as mentioned above in case you receive either one of the error messages.

- If during the reinstallation of the msxml6 the error occurs that the msxml6r.dll has been protected by windows, finish the installer.

- Open a Command Prompt (cmd.exe)

- Navigate to the directory where the msxml6 installation is located

- Then use the following command: msiexec /i @@name of msi installation file@@ /qb

- Please note that you will not receive any confirmation that the installation has finished successfully or not

- Then run the SQL Server 2005 installation via the official installation file.

The installation of the SQL Server 2005 should be completed successfully. Afterwards, you can update your XML Parser 6 version to the SP1 via the Microsoft Download Center or Windows Update.

Monday, August 18, 2008 7:31 AM

All replies

• Thanks a ton. Saved me a whole heap of frustration.

Monday, June 16, 2008 4:39 PM
  • Hello,

A similar issue appears when you install Sql Server 2005 after the update of XP SP2 to SP3.

The only way known is to desinstall the SP3 of XP , to install Sql Server 2005 and to reinstall the SP3 for XP.

Maybe you have found  a solution for this problem.

Thanks for this tip

Have a nice day

Monday, June 16, 2008 7:53 PM
  • This solved my problem!

Thank You,

Monday, June 23, 2008 9:57 PM
  • Hello,

Please, could you mark the post as answered ?

It's not for the points, it's only because a thread answered is more often visited than one not answered and of course may be more useful for the forum visitor

Have a nice day

Monday, June 23, 2008 10:25 PM
  • Thanks for the writeup; it was extremely helpful -- saved at least those four hours for me! :-)

Monday, August 11, 2008 3:41 AM
  •  mxparker wrote:

Fix #1 -

I had the same problem on my system. However, you just need to remove the subkey from the Products group which contains "XML Parser 6" as it's product name. You can verify it by selecting the subkey and on the right you should be seeing several keys, including the "ProductName". If it states anything other then the XML Parser 6, you might as well leave it be. (^_~ )

mxparker wrote:

Fix #2

5. Delete this key

If you can't find key "5A6FB34A0F5DAAA4FB1456990536CE44", then it doesn't nessaceraly mean that the key doesn't exist. Try looking for the "XML Parser 6" text within the Hkey_local_machine\software\classes\installer\products group. When found, delete it and try again.

Also, when you are using Windows XP, you might get the message that the file "C:\windows\system32\msxml6r.dll" is currently being protected by Windows and that you may need to update your operating system.  At this moment you might have already updated your Windows XP version to Service Pack 3. According to Mike Wachal (post: https://forums.microsoft.com/msdn/ShowPost.aspx?PageIndex=0&SiteID=1&PageID=0&PostID=3267649), the msxml6 has been included within the Windows File Protection system, which will generate a conflict between the version being installed by SQL Server 2005 and the version already installed with SP3 (which is probably the SP1 version of the msxml6).

Thanks to Simon4's post (located at the bottom of the https://forums.microsoft.com/msdn/ShowPost.aspx?PageIndex=0&SiteID=1&PageID=0&PostID=3267649 page), i've performed the following steps to successfully install SQL Server 2005 on a Windows XP SP3 system:

- Perform the steps as mentioned above in case you receive either one of the error messages.

- If during the reinstallation of the msxml6 the error occurs that the msxml6r.dll has been protected by windows, finish the installer.

- Open a Command Prompt (cmd.exe)

- Navigate to the directory where the msxml6 installation is located

- Then use the following command: msiexec /i @@name of msi installation file@@ /qb

- Please note that you will not receive any confirmation that the installation has finished successfully or not

- Then run the SQL Server 2005 installation via the official installation file.

The installation of the SQL Server 2005 should be completed successfully. Afterwards, you can update your XML Parser 6 version to the SP1 via the Microsoft Download Center or Windows Update.

Monday, August 18, 2008 7:31 AM
  • This was extremely helpful.  I have been searching high and low for fixes on this particular problem and yours worked immediately.

Thank you so much.

Monday, August 25, 2008 3:19 PM
  •  

Same here, worked perfectly. You are a king Thanks!
    Tuesday, October 07, 2008 3:36 PM
  • This to mxparker.  Absolutely brilliant.  I got sp3 and fix #1 was all I needed to do.  Thank you.  Thank you.  Thank you.  Of course, all of this after about 6 hours of fiddling around and researching stuff.

Saturday, November 15, 2008 8:42 PM
  •  

This was really very interesting and helpfull. Problem resolved.
    Wednesday, November 19, 2008 10:20 PM
  • Fix #2 worked for me.  First hit when I googled the problem.  Key name was different.  Just searched for msxml6.msi.  Thanks a bunch.
    Friday, June 12, 2009 9:09 PM
  • Thank you very much Shlizar Axis!! Saved me in going slightly mad!!
    Friday, July 03, 2009 10:00 AM
  • Fix #2 Solved my issue without need to go to step 6.

Thank you.

Friday, February 05, 2010 11:34 AM
  • Hello!

Thanks, It realy worked.

I could install SQL server after these steps.

Friday, March 26, 2010 3:11 PM
  • Thank you Shlizar, searching for the key by name and deleting resolved this for me.

Thursday, November 04, 2010 3:15 PM
  • O SQL nao suporta a plataforma xpSP3 nao precisa reformatar, segue as instrucoes...

1- Clique em Iniciar e em seguida Executar.

[Somente usurios registrados podem ver os Links. Clique aqui para se REGISTRAR]

2- Em executar digite regedit e em seguida clique em Ok.

[Somente usurios registrados podem ver os Links. Clique aqui para se REGISTRAR]

3- No Editor do Registro,
    clique nas seguintes pastas HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / System / CurrentControlSet / Control / Windows .
    Agora clique duas vezes na chave CSDVersion e altere o valor de 300 para 200, clique em Ok e reinicie o computador.

Pronto, agora o seu Windows XP SP3 esta maquiado como Windows XP SP2 e j
    pode receber as atualizaes. Para confirmar se tudo ocorreu bem,
     clique novamente com lado direito do mouse em Meu Computador e em seguida
    clique em Propriedades. O meu Windows XP que era SP3 agora  SP2

Lembrando que mexer com as chaves do Registro do Windows pode ser muito perigoso caso voc no saiba o que esta fazendo. Ns no nos responsabilizamos por nenhum dano que possa acontecer ao seu computador.

Qualquer duvida

digimicro@hotmail.com

suporte@bcnfer.com.br

Saturday, March 19, 2011 2:36 PM
  • there is a very simple process to uninstall xmlsp2 and install xml6.

download windows install cleanup utility(Microsoft utility) from 

http://www.404techsupport.com/2010/06/30/microsoft-no-longer-supports-windows-installer-cleanup-utility/

It was published by MS, but now is discontinued for unknown reasons. It is very good utility. After uninstalling any previous versions of msxml, install msxml6.

Sunday, April 03, 2011 9:34 PM
  • Thanks u so very much ........ It worked for me
    Monday, April 23, 2012 4:31 AM