none
sql 2008 uninstall

Question

• how do I unistall sql 2008 ctp november manually. when I used add remove it does not uninstall everything

Update my solution was to re-install OS

To uninstall CTP5 read the readme file in section 2.4.2 after running the commands goto setup where setup was extracted originally not the setup installed in <drive>:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap CTP5 will reinstall.

Monday, November 26, 2007 9:12 PM

Answers

• Please don't use the Windows Installer Cleanup Tool to remove SQL Server.  It will not work and will just cause more issues.

We do not recommend or support this tool.

If you would like help cleaning up your machine we need logs.  I encourage you to open a bug via connect (http://connect.microsoft.com/default.aspx) and supply logs and we'll get back to you.

Thanks,

Amy Lewis

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 9:34 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You can use Windows Installer cleanup utility. Download from the below link and try uninstalling SQL server 2008.
    Windows Installer CleanUp Utility
    Monday, December 03, 2007 6:48 AM
  • Hi,

I used that windows installer cleanup utility. I selected sql server 2008 and removed. I no more see it in the list that showing up in that windows installer cleanup but i can still see "SQL server 2008" in Add / Remove software menu.

Acidentally i uninstalled the SQL server 2008 support files and Native client files through windows installer cleanup with out confirming the removal of SQL server 2008. Now i am having trouble removing SQL server 2008. When i try to re-istall, while its installing the support files, im getting the following error message: Setup has encountered the following error: Failed to retrieve data for this request..

I am getting the same message when i try to uninstall the existing SQL server 2008 through Add / remove software menu.

Please help.

Thanq,
    Balaji.

Friday, December 14, 2007 3:04 PM
  • I started to uninstall sql server 2008 as well.  I had to step away from the machine, and when I came back I saw that the unistaller terminated on its own accord.  When I try to rerun it I get the message Setup has encountered the following error: Failed to retrieve data for this request..  I also get this message when I try to reinstall 2008.  I am pretty much dead in the water at this point with Katmai...
    Friday, December 28, 2007 2:52 PM
  •  

i, too, am having this same problem.  did anyone find a resolution?

thanks

Robert

Wednesday, January 30, 2008 12:51 AM
  • Even i am also getting the same error. Almost dead with Katmai. Please help

Sunday, March 09, 2008 4:32 AM
  • what is the error you are gettin?

Sunday, March 09, 2008 4:38 AM
  • I removed SQL 2008 using windows installer cleanup utility. But SQL 2008 64-bit is still showing in add/remove programs list. when I try to remove it I get the message Setup has encountered the following error: Failed to retrieve data for this request..  I also get this message when I try to reinstall 2008. I am in a position where i do not want to format the entire machine ..somebody please help.

Sunday, March 09, 2008 1:09 PM
  • Please don't use the Windows Installer Cleanup Tool to remove SQL Server.  It will not work and will just cause more issues.

We do not recommend or support this tool.

If you would like help cleaning up your machine we need logs.  I encourage you to open a bug via connect (http://connect.microsoft.com/default.aspx) and supply logs and we'll get back to you.

Thanks,

Amy Lewis

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 9:34 PM
  • We're experiencing a similar circumstance when we attempt to install the Management Studio with SQL 2008 Express version.  The old CTP failed uninstall and is visable in the Add/Remove.  Now, the current SQL 2008 Installer fails the 'rule' test for Visual Studio SP1 and does not permit installation of any features such as the Management Studio. 

Thanks for your suggestion, We will open a bug via Connect.   Which logs should we include with the 'question'?  

Thursday, September 04, 2008 5:52 PM
  • Seems to be an old post. I'm having the same problem, is there a resolution?

Tuesday, December 02, 2008 3:22 PM
  • Do you have an old CTP that you can't uninstall?

Wednesday, December 03, 2008 4:05 AM
  • Hi Richard.

Yes, It is still there.  Do you have a solution?

Richard Waymire - MSFT wrote:
    Do you have an old CTP that you can't uninstall?

Wednesday, December 03, 2008 7:39 AM
  • Not sure if this will work for you, but I was having a similar problem and found that the C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server directory had the read-only attribute set.  I removed this attribute and flooded the change down through all subfolders and directories.  I was then able to uninstall SQL 2008 using the Windows Installer found in Add/Remove programs.  Hope this works for you!!
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 6:56 PM
  • Well it still seems to be a problem.  I find it disconcerting that a problem is raised here in 2007 and it is still a problem with no corrective action or even a work around from the MS SQL teams late in 2009.

I was dumb enough to trust that Microsoft Add/Remove would work.  It removed the listings from the Add/Remove list, but had no effect on the actual installation.  The files are still there and the program still runs from the START icons.
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 7:10 AM
  • How about MS creates a tool that completely removes everything from ever install of SQL server.  You know what the uninstall should do but does not.

I have a machine that I have spent all day trying to remove 2008 and put on 2005.  However, every time I try toinstall the tools it tells me they are already there.  I uninstalled them in 2008.  So I tried to put 2008 back and I cannot since I put in a patch and my install is not letting me since components from the patch are still there.

This is another failure by MS since the web is full of these issues and they keep closing the bugs saying they cannot reproduce them.

Microsoft = failure

Tuesday, March 30, 2010 11:13 PM
  • ... there.  I uninstalled them in 2008.  So I tried to put 2008 back and I cannot since I put in a patch and my install is not letting me since components from the patch are still there. 

This is another failure by MS since the web is full of these issues and they keep closing the bugs saying they cannot reproduce them.

Microsoft = failure

That's a pain in the @88 when you are a developper, and need to test your silent installation. To do that, you have to install, uninstall, install, uninstall and then like most of us here it doesn't totally uninstall and you can't keep testing your program without re-installing the OS. Very very sad.

Oh well I'll wait one more years for the next SQL Srv version release. kidding, I'll go with Advantage. ;)

Thursday, May 13, 2010 1:16 PM
  • Hi Amy

Is there a recommended way or sequence to uninstall SQL Server 2008?  Or Microsoft will have to be contactted to handle it?

Regards.

Man

• Proposed as answer by abarberena_gil Thursday, February 24, 2011 1:24 AM
    Thursday, November 25, 2010 9:46 AM
  • Microsoft SQL Server = FAIL on such a fundamental level

Amy your advice FAILS, how is that professional advice telling someone what DOESN'T work and not following with a recommended solution?

I'm not even going to explain the minuscule reason that i cannot uninstall because i already understand that I will not receive an answer! SMH, what a joke

Wednesday, January 05, 2011 2:35 AM
  • I am now beginning to wish I had never let SQL Server 2008 anywhere near my machine having experienced a long sequence of problems in attempting what really OUGHT to have been a near painless installation.  I had no need to preserve existing data or run side by side with any prior version or anything complicated.... In essence what I want is a nice clean install onto an empty machine (Vista 64 bit).

Unfortunately, I installed the "old" version of SQL 2008 express by mistake (i.e. not R2) and then attempted to remove it before installing R2. I can certainly confirm that attempting to remove it from the windows add/remove programs control panel is a very bad idea. Do not do this!!!!

Installing R2 afterwards appeared to work but SSMS throws all sorts of nasty exceptions which I suspect (and hope!) are due to the corrupt "base" version still being present. 

On further investigation, registry entries are retained, program files are not removed and services are left in place. In short the SQL Server 2008 express install has dumped all over my machine and the windows uninstall hasn't got a clue abut how to clean up after it and I've no evidence it's done anything it claimed to do.

I've been trying to clean this all up manually to go back to a "clean" SQL less machine and it's an absolute nightmare. Files and folders can't be deleted without manual adjustments to the permissions all over the place (even though I am an administrator and I did the install under the same account). Services won't uninstall with "SC Delete" and the registry needs to be hacked to remove them. Even now, when I retry the install of R2 after overcoming these problems, it still thinks that the base version of 2008 already exists so there is something I've missed....

I don't want to put R2 on until the detection tool comes up clean and empty.

Does anyone know how the R2 detection tool determines that there is an existing instance of SQL? I guess it is using the registry and I need to remove some more keys from somewhere.... (the windows program list is clean but this obviously isn't the same thing the detection tool is detecting). 

Or is there some tool that will just nuke all evidence of SQL without having to reinstall the OS? I really don't want to do that!

• Proposed as answer by wvanhuffel Friday, February 04, 2011 7:58 AM
    Thursday, January 06, 2011 4:46 PM
  • Same issues here DMFW.  Tried to upgrade sql 2005 Developer to 2008 Developer this week.  Failed.  Spent the last 2 days trying to undo the damage nothing.  Can't uninstall, can't repair, can't reinstall.  Reinstalling the O/S is not an option.  No answer, just commiserating.  This is nauseating.

Friday, January 07, 2011 4:20 AM
  • Hi There, I experienced the same thing. but found the following solution:

first I followed the instructions as noted on the MS web site. then, as mentioned above - I found the directories of the SQL server install read only. I removed this read only status then ran the uninstall. The first time it ran it removed all but the client software. the second time I ran uninstall across the client software it removed that as well. after everything I rebooted. now I have reinstalled and uninstalled sql server express 2008 r2 three times successfully and it appears to be working (can create tables, do inserts, drop tables,...).

I did not see a "Change the Read Only attribute on the program folders" in the advice but it appears that it is the last thing required that makes the uninstall work.

Regards, Van

Friday, February 04, 2011 8:03 AM
  • Format dude, don't burn time trying to figure it out.

Thursday, February 24, 2011 1:25 AM
  • WHY is SQL always such a NIGHTMARE to uninstall. I uninstalled SQL 2008 and the wizard was great. I thought they finally got it together this time. Not, the only thing it uninstalled was the instance. Now i have no instance but everything else  still installed. i am scared to uninstall the rest because i don't know how it will ruin my server.
    Wednesday, August 03, 2011 3:45 PM
  • GUYS, go visit this batch file + msiexec solution that worked for many people, after days of effort spent using the remove program utility (under win7 in my case) :

http://sqlblog.com/blogs/aaron_bertrand/archive/2010/10/25/fun-with-software-uninstalling-sql-server-2008-r2-evaluation-edition.aspx

This solution rocks!

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 3:33 PM
  • After a week of battling with the corrupted SQL Server installation on my machine, and after prior experience with Oracle's installer/uninstaller, I'm convinced that for this reason alone everyone should switch to Oracle as their database of choice, and nobody should run SQL Server anywhere.

Microsoft: talk me out of it.  Give me an uninstaller/repairer that WORKS, that finds everything, allows me to select what to do with all of it, then does it CORRECTLY without CRASHING or MESSING UP THE REGISTRY.  Or at least give me a "remove every trace" tool so I can start over, and make sure it works no matter which versions of Visual Studio are present.

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 8:26 PM

• Oh well I'll wait one more years for the next SQL Srv version release. kidding, I'll go with Advantage. ;)

What is "Advantage"?
    Sunday, December 18, 2011 11:11 PM
  • After a week of battling with the corrupted SQL Server installation on my machine, and after prior experience with Oracle's installer/uninstaller, I'm convinced that for this reason alone everyone should switch to Oracle as their database of choice, and nobody should run SQL Server anywhere.

Microsoft: talk me out of it.  Give me an uninstaller/repairer that WORKS, that finds everything, allows me to select what to do with all of it, then does it CORRECTLY without CRASHING or MESSING UP THE REGISTRY.  Or at least give me a "remove every trace" tool so I can start over, and make sure it works no matter which versions of Visual Studio are present.

Thanks for the suggestion to go to Oracle. My original installation of SQL Server 2008 R2 went fine; it all worked. Then I removed SQLCE 3.5 and SQLCE 4.0. It all fell apart after that, and I have tried on and off for over 2 weeks to uninstall everything. I am shocked to find the forums full of complaints about the same topic for over 3 years, and no solution.

SQL Server is supposed to be MS's star DBMS product. Its installed in many businesses. But I will from now on avoid this server software like the plague. Over the years I have tried to work with some of the low-end MS SQL servers, and was never successful. I was sure that the high-end server would be much easier to maintain. That idea is now gone. I will now have to spend hours more to format the systems.

Frankly I am starting to think about moving development out from all MS systems. The tools seem to be having similar problems.

To the others also in my shoes, I hope you find this thread in many fewer hours than I did, and best of luck for the fix.

Sunday, December 18, 2011 11:23 PM
  • GUYS, go visit this batch file + msiexec solution that worked for many people, after days of effort spent using the remove program utility (under win7 in my case) :

http://sqlblog.com/blogs/aaron_bertrand/archive/2010/10/25/fun-with-software-uninstalling-sql-server-2008-r2-evaluation-edition.aspx

This solution rocks!

OK - but could any one explain to me exactly how the bat file is runned, and from where in the command box?

Thanks Tomas

By helping others I help myself
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 12:22 PM
  • Hi,

You have to do that manually as in different phases.

Like tegistry TEmp, etc.

- Sekilha
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 9:07 AM
  • Hi,

You have to do that manually as in different phases.

Like tegistry TEmp, etc.

- Sekilha

OK. I have unistalled everything and tryed to reinstall without success. My purpose was to use VS2010 in order to use DotNetKuke from either WebMatrix or VS2010 Professional, bur din't succeeded with any of them, so I've started a new thred:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlsetupandupgrade/thread/668bb26e-3da2-4283-84dd-ad0c6cb09e5c

Thanks /Tomas

By helping others I help myself
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 6:46 PM