none
Saving and opening files is slow

Question

• Hi - hope someone can answer my question.

I'm using SSMS 2008 on Windows 7.  When I go to open or save a file, it is unbelievably slow when I go to navigate folders using the pull-down in the top of the Open or Save File dialog.  It goes completely unresponsive for about 30 seconds.

Has anybody seen this or know how to fix it?
    Jeff Balcerzak
    Monday, February 22, 2010 10:02 PM

Answers

• I found out what my problem was: a shared network drive had died... I disconnected it, and things are back to normal. I wonder, though, how come I did not have the same issue saving from other apps such as Word, Excell, etc !!??
    Thursday, September 16, 2010 12:15 PM
  • Thank you! Your fix worked for me. I work remotely and don't always connect to our company VPN. So sometimes my network drives are working and sometimes not. Which explains why I was seeing this intermittent issue with SQL Mgmt Studio behaving this way. Haven't seen any other app have this problem. Thanks for saving my sanity!!
    Wednesday, October 20, 2010 10:11 PM

All replies

• It might be the slowness of the database engine it self.
    verify whether there are any other process running on the database.

check the service pack level of the SQL server. Better if it is SP1

Blog: http://dineshasanka.spaces.live.com
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 9:37 AM
  • I doubt it has anything to do with the SQL engine.  This is in the Open File dialog - if I go off the menu or use the toolbar button, once the file-open dialog displays, if I use the combo box on the top of the dialog or double click a folder inside the window, the management studio freezes up and becomes unresponsive for about 20 seconds, then comes back.
    Jeff Balcerzak
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 2:53 PM
  • Hi,

I agree with you. Have you got this problem when opening or saving in other applications such as Microsoft Office Word? You can open Task Manager to see who talk the most CPU or momery at that time.

Hope this helps.
    Chunsong Feng
    Microsoft Online Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 1:40 AM
  • I've narrowed it down a little bit - I tend to think its with how folders are enumerated through in the "Save In:" drop down. 

When I go to save or open a file, and I click on the "Save In:" drop down to change the folder, the whole thing grinds to a crawl.  There's a window background that displays where the folders would be seen but is plain white, but doesn't do anything and doesn't go away until the dialog is closed.   If I don't click that dropdown, it works fine, but once I click that, boom.

I do not see the same behavior in Office 2007 when saving an opening files.

Jeff Balcerzak
    Tuesday, March 02, 2010 5:47 PM
  • Jeff - I have EXACTLY the same problem as you describe, in every detail.  All other apps, even Visual studio 2005, the combobox works just fine.  I think this just started today.  Did you ever find a solution?  If not, maybe we can find something we have in common that makes this happen.
    Friday, August 27, 2010 2:32 AM
  • I have the same exact problem when saving from a query window in SQL Server 2005 Management Studio (running on a Win 7 machine). Actually, it just started misbehaving yesterday afternoon. It takes me at least 10 minutes to navigate to a folder. Also, another things that is happening is that the "Save File As" folder always defaults to "Projects," which a new behavior... until I started having problems yesterday afternoon, it would default to the last folder I had used.

**NOTE: This only happens in SQL Server, only when I'm saving... SQL queries, etc, are fine, which tells me the problem is not the database.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Wednesday, September 15, 2010 12:43 PM
  • I found out what my problem was: a shared network drive had died... I disconnected it, and things are back to normal. I wonder, though, how come I did not have the same issue saving from other apps such as Word, Excell, etc !!??
    Thursday, September 16, 2010 12:15 PM
  • Thanks you, Thank you. After I reboot my desktop last Friday, I have the exactly same problem as you described. Your solution saved my week.

Friday, September 24, 2010 8:52 PM
  • Thank you! Your fix worked for me. I work remotely and don't always connect to our company VPN. So sometimes my network drives are working and sometimes not. Which explains why I was seeing this intermittent issue with SQL Mgmt Studio behaving this way. Haven't seen any other app have this problem. Thanks for saving my sanity!!
    Wednesday, October 20, 2010 10:11 PM
  • Well done everyone - I was going mad this morning, every other application (Notepad Plus, Excel, Notepad) could locate .sql files in the Windows Explorer API, except SQL Management, Studio V8.

I found one of my mapped drives was no longer connected, so I removed the bad drive mapping connection, and it all came back good.

Thursday, November 10, 2011 11:19 PM