none
Horizontal Bar Chart and Overlaying Line Chart

Question

• I am using SSRS 2008 and developing my reports in BIDS.

I have a report with two data points. I want to chart the first as a bar (horizontal) chart and then the second as an overlaying line chart.

I created both data series, originally, as a bar chart. I have clicked on the second series in the "Drop Data Fields Here" area and changed the chart to a line chart. When I do that, it changes both series to a line chart.

However, if I use the column (vertical) chart for the first series, it will let me make the second one a line chart.

Is this a limitation of SSRS 2008? Can I not have one data point be the horizontal bar chart and the second one a line chart?

If so, are there any suggestions how to get around this?

Thanks.
    Thursday, July 02, 2009 3:07 PM

Answers

• SSRS 2008 does not support combining a horizontal bar series with a line series in a single chart area.

-Sean

Program Manager, SQL Server Reporting Services This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. http://blogs.msdn.com/seanboon http://www.twitter.com/ssrs
    • Marked as answer by Sean Boon Thursday, July 02, 2009 8:40 PM
    Thursday, July 02, 2009 8:40 PM

All replies

• SSRS 2008 does not support combining a horizontal bar series with a line series in a single chart area.

-Sean

Program Manager, SQL Server Reporting Services This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. http://blogs.msdn.com/seanboon http://www.twitter.com/ssrs
    • Marked as answer by Sean Boon Thursday, July 02, 2009 8:40 PM
    Thursday, July 02, 2009 8:40 PM
  • Both charts for SSRS 2005/2008 are very limited when it comes to horizontal charts and are infact supporting only left-to-right bar charts, with no ability to combine them with other charting types (lines, areas, points etc.). For a SSRS charting solution that supports all types of charting type combinations in left-to-right and right-to-left horizontal fashion you can use Nevron Chart for SSRS - www.nevron.com. Besides a huge number of charting types and subtypes (most of which are not available in the MS Chart for SSRS 2008) it also provides better image quality in 2D and 3D modes, more settings, has support for rich text formatting in texts, has image filters, ability to customize via C# code and implements many more large and small charting related details.

Best regards,
    Crank
    Friday, September 11, 2009 9:17 AM
  • You can do it.

Fistly you define two data fields. When you click one of the data field , you see the small white circles top of the bars on the chart area.Then right click one of these circles and "Change Chart Type" to line ..Then one of the data field show as line, other one remains as bar.

Wednesday, October 13, 2010 12:24 PM
  • Excellent Salvador34!  I was looking for exactly this solution and as your response shows it is easy in SSRS 2008.  Many thanks.
    Monday, March 21, 2011 11:31 PM
  • Hi All,

I am using SSRS 2008 and developing my reports in BIDS.

I have different gates for one project, each gate has planned date and actual date. I need to show Actual date & Planned date on y-axis and need to show actual dates of gates & planned dates of gates in two horizontal stacked bars in the series.

Hope I have explained the requirement clearly.

Please any one let me know whether it is possible or not?

Any help would be appreciative.

Regards,

RamsReddy.

• Edited by Rams Reddy Thursday, January 03, 2013 5:15 AM
    Thursday, January 03, 2013 5:14 AM
  • Hi Salvador

I have two fields in Chart Data region as you suggested when I click on one field I see white dots at the top of bars. But when I change one to Line Chart it changes both of the fields to Line Charts. Am I missing something?

Thanks.

Friday, September 13, 2013 5:31 AM
  • Hi Salvador,

I think the approach which u mentioned works fine with vertical bar chart . But I think it does not work for horizontal bar char . Can you please confirm on this??

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 6:13 PM