none
Installation of SQL Server 2008 failing - Client Tools

Question

• Hello,

I am trying to install SQL Server 2008 Client Tools on a machine that already has SQL Server 2005 (Full install). I select "Client Tools Connectivity" "Client Tools Backwards Compatibility" "Client Tools SDK" and "SQL Client Connectivity SDK". During installation, I receive this error message "A network error occurred while attempting to read from the file E:\x86\setup\x86\sqlncli.msi". The installation then fails. Is the older version of sql native client interfering with the new install? Any suggestions on what to do? Thanks!!

-Theresa

Thursday, August 14, 2008 7:00 PM

Answers

• If you get the same error when running the msi manually from that folder, then it does sound like your media is corrupt. You may need to re-download or re-burn from your original download. When burning the media I suggest you enable validation to ensure what was burned matches original contents (assuming your burning software supports validation\verification).

Friday, August 15, 2008 5:43 PM
  •  

Finally got the Client Tools and Mangement Studio installed. What I did was remove Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Native Client in Add or Remove Programs (before I was just trying to uninstall Microsoft SQL Server 2008 and it failed). After Native Client was removed, I reinstalled client tools and mangement studio from a dvd (was mounting the iso before). Everything installed perfectly.

Thank you Jeff for all of your help!

-Theresa

Friday, August 15, 2008 7:13 PM

All replies

• Hi Theresa,

It sounds like a problem with the media. If you navigate to "e:\x86\setup\x86", can you install "sqlncli.msi" manually by either double clicking on it or launching from the command line?

Thursday, August 14, 2008 8:35 PM
  • Hey Jeff,

I was about to go do that when I looked in the Add or Remove Programs folder and saw these "Microsfot SQL Server 2008", "Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Management Objects", "Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Native Client", and "Microsoft 2008 Setup Support Files (English)"...as well as my SQL Server 2005 programs. I checked under All Programs, and there is a folder for SQL Server 2008 but no Management Studio (just Configuration Manager). Maybe I need to uninstall all of this and try again?

Thursday, August 14, 2008 11:06 PM
  • So it sounds like some of the features you selected were installed. Our new setup engine will keep installing features even if one or more fail to install. So what you can do is try to re-run setup to add the features that were not installed.

Also note that if you are also looking for the management tools (such as SQL Server Management Studio), you'll also need to install "Management Tools - Basic" and "Management Tools - Complete".

Thursday, August 14, 2008 11:22 PM
  • So I tried to reinstall missing features, but I was getting the same error message about the sqlncli.msi file. I tried executing it from the folder, but got the same error.

When I went to remove the items that did get installed from Add or Remove Programs, I got the following error:

"SQL Server Setup has encountered the following error:

No feature were uninstalled during the setup execution. The requested features may not be installed. Please review the summary.txt log for further details.

Error code 0x84B30002"

Not sure what to do..

Friday, August 15, 2008 12:34 AM
  • If you get the same error when running the msi manually from that folder, then it does sound like your media is corrupt. You may need to re-download or re-burn from your original download. When burning the media I suggest you enable validation to ensure what was burned matches original contents (assuming your burning software supports validation\verification).

Friday, August 15, 2008 5:43 PM
  •  

Finally got the Client Tools and Mangement Studio installed. What I did was remove Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Native Client in Add or Remove Programs (before I was just trying to uninstall Microsoft SQL Server 2008 and it failed). After Native Client was removed, I reinstalled client tools and mangement studio from a dvd (was mounting the iso before). Everything installed perfectly.

Thank you Jeff for all of your help!

-Theresa

Friday, August 15, 2008 7:13 PM
  • Un-installing the Native Client is definitively the right thing to do. I struggled with installing SQL Server 2008 Client Tools for several hours. I finally found Theresa's comment which lead me to a successful installation. THANK YOU THERESA.
    Wednesday, July 24, 2013 9:27 PM
  • Hey @All,

I think it is a good, when run into problems installing SQL Server SP1 and get the same error.

I fixed this the following way, like I do a lot of times, when I  get unexpected errors on windows Update and installing patches.

First Stop the WSUS Service om the client maschine.

Then go to %windir%/ and search for the software distribution folder. Delete this (content comes back from wsus or ms update)

Goto WIndows update ans start searching for updates, now the package who get the error will apear again and you can install it.

Best regards Michael

Michael Ziese

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 6:48 AM