none
I/O error during transaction restore

Question

• Hi there,

We run log shipping between a production database and a backup database.  Both run SQL server 2008 Enterprise.  Recently we've seen many instances of the following error in our application event log on the backup database server:

"During restore restart, an I/O error occurred on checkpoint file 'D:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Backup\RestoreCheckpointDB5.CKP' (operating system error 1784(failed to retrieve text for this error. Reason: 15105)). The statement is proceeding but cannot be restarted. Ensure that a valid storage location exists for the checkpoint file."

We use Redgate SQL backup on our standby server to restore the transaction logs we ship across from the production server.  This has worked without a problem for more than a year.  I've checked that the default backup path exists (the location where the checkpoint files are created) and that the SQL server user has got sufficient permissions to read and write to it.  This error does not occur every time we restore a transaction log nor does it stop the restore from successfully completing. However I am concerned to see any I/O error on our backup server.  

Has anyone got any ideas what might be causing this (I'm pretty sure that we can rule out any hardware issues as our hosting company have run diagnostics to check this)?

Many thanks

Matt 

Tuesday, February 22, 2011 5:44 PM

Answers

• Hi Matt,

Thanks for your question.

If you run 'net helpmsg 1784', you will get the following message:

The supplied user buffer is not valid for the requested operation.

However, from Books Online about this error message, the user action is 'Contact the supplier of the running application'. Since you are using Redgate SQL backup, you may need to talk with them. Or, you could open a support case with Redgate  Microsoft Customer Services and Support for further investigation (http://support.microsoft.com).

The follow thread has similar error message but with different system error number to see if that helps:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/sqldisasterrecovery/thread/a775a886-ab7e-461f-8413-4870678dc811

Hope this helps. Please feel free to let me know if you need more help.

Best Regards,
    Chunsong Feng

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, February 23, 2011 9:01 AM

All replies

• Hi Matt,

Thanks for your question.

If you run 'net helpmsg 1784', you will get the following message:

The supplied user buffer is not valid for the requested operation.

However, from Books Online about this error message, the user action is 'Contact the supplier of the running application'. Since you are using Redgate SQL backup, you may need to talk with them. Or, you could open a support case with Redgate  Microsoft Customer Services and Support for further investigation (http://support.microsoft.com).

The follow thread has similar error message but with different system error number to see if that helps:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/sqldisasterrecovery/thread/a775a886-ab7e-461f-8413-4870678dc811

Hope this helps. Please feel free to let me know if you need more help.

Best Regards,
    Chunsong Feng

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, February 23, 2011 9:01 AM
  • Hi Chunsong,

Thanks very much for your reply.  I didn't know about the 'net helpmsg' facility - very useful! 

I'm going to contact Redgate again to see if they can help.

Thanks again.

Matt

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 10:33 AM
  • Matt, we also use Red Gate SQL Backup 5 and have started to see this same error in the SQL ERRORLOG:

During restore restart, an I/O error occurred on checkpoint file 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Backup\RestoreCheckpointDB6.CKP' (operating system error 1784(The supplied user buffer is not valid for the requested operation.)). The statement is proceeding but cannot be restarted. Ensure that a valid storage location exists for the checkpoint file.

When the problem occurs Process Monitor records this event:

Date & Time: 3/15/2011 4:30:14 PM
    Event Class: File System
    Operation: WriteFile
    Result: 0xC00000E8
    Path: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Backup\RestoreCheckpointDB6.CKP
    TID: 3320
    Duration: 0.0090821
    Offset: 4,670
    Length: 509,000
    Priority: Normal

This problem only started recently, perhaps after the latest Microsoft Updates were installed. I haven't yet installed Service Pack 2 for SQL 2008. The server is Windows 2008 SP2 running on an Amazon EC2 instance. Did you have any luck with Red Gate support? I haven't contacted them yet. Thanks!

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 8:54 PM