none
=PATH ERROR 'Value in Child column refers to more then one value in Parent column.' But that is not the case.

Question

• Hi,

I try to create a hirarchy with the Dax-Formula =PATH(Child;Parent) [the german version requires a ; insted of ,]
    for the balance sheet.

The error message tells that a certain value (3 Gewinnruecklage) of the Child column refers to more then one value in the parent column.
    When I filter the Child column for the certain value in PowerPivot or in SSMS I just find one dataset. So there is just one value.

What could I do to solve this error? When I delete the certain value, I get the same error with another value.
    (The PATH-Formula work in another Dimension of the same PowerPivot)

How many letters may a value contain? I use up to 120 letters.

Best Regards
    Jörg
    Thursday, April 18, 2013 10:24 AM

Answers

• well, the error indicates that there is at least one Child that has more than one parent

try adding this caluclated column to check for non-unique Childs:

=COUNTROWS(
    FILTER(ALL('Employee'),
        Employee[EmployeeKey] = EARLIER(Employee[EmployeeKey])))

if all values contain "1" then this is not the issue and your issue may really be related to the size of your column - though i have not experienced anything like this yet

hth,
    gerhard

- www.pmOne.com -

• Marked as answer by J.Roca Friday, April 19, 2013 10:45 AM
    Thursday, April 18, 2013 6:36 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• well, the error indicates that there is at least one Child that has more than one parent

try adding this caluclated column to check for non-unique Childs:

=COUNTROWS(
    FILTER(ALL('Employee'),
        Employee[EmployeeKey] = EARLIER(Employee[EmployeeKey])))

if all values contain "1" then this is not the issue and your issue may really be related to the size of your column - though i have not experienced anything like this yet

hth,
    gerhard

- www.pmOne.com -

• Marked as answer by J.Roca Friday, April 19, 2013 10:45 AM
    Thursday, April 18, 2013 6:36 PM
    Answerer
  • Gerhard, thank you very much for your help!

Indeed I had a non-unique Child named "Anteile an verbundenen Unternehmen" that exists for the long-term and the short-term assets and refers to different Parents.

Best Regards

Jörg

Friday, April 19, 2013 10:44 AM