none
Full backup and Log backups at the same time..

Question

• When I have a full database backup running, will log backups for that database run or will they fail ? In my case, I am using Litespeed and noticed that my log backups were running every 15 mins even while the full database backup was going on ? Let me know if there is anything unusual about Litespeed vs Native backups..
    Sunday, November 13, 2011 11:46 PM

Answers

• I feel they should not fail.. but wanted to confirm if log backups would wait for full backups to complete. I was wondering how native backups would behave here..
    Log backups will not fail when run inside of the window where a FULL backup is also running.  However, the log backups will not truncate the log space for reuse.  Instead log truncation is deferred until the FULL backup completes since the log file is copied into the backup file at the end of the data copy to allow the database to be recovered when the backup is restored.  Third party tools work the same way through the usage of VDI.

Jonathan Kehayias | Principal Consultant, SQLSkills.com
    SQL Server MVP | Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author of Troubleshooting SQL Server: A Guide for Accidental DBAs
    Feel free to contact me through My Blog or Twitter. Become a SQLskills Insider!
    Please click the Mark as Answer button if a post solves your problem!

Monday, November 14, 2011 1:23 AM

All replies

• They should not cause each other to fail but at worst may cause one to wait on the other. I cannot comment on Litespeed backups and you would probably be better referring that question to the vendor.

Regards,
    Mark Broadbent.

Contact me through (twitter|blog)

Please click "Propose As Answer" if a post solves your problem
    or "Vote As Helpful" if a post has been useful to you
    Monday, November 14, 2011 12:04 AM
  • I feel they should not fail.. but wanted to confirm if log backups would wait for full backups to complete. I was wondering how native backups would behave here..
    Monday, November 14, 2011 12:16 AM
    Log backups will not fail when run inside of the window where a FULL backup is also running.  However, the log backups will not truncate the log space for reuse.  Instead log truncation is deferred until the FULL backup completes since the log file is copied into the backup file at the end of the data copy to allow the database to be recovered when the backup is restored.  Third party tools work the same way through the usage of VDI.

Jonathan Kehayias | Principal Consultant, SQLSkills.com
    SQL Server MVP | Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author of Troubleshooting SQL Server: A Guide for Accidental DBAs
    Feel free to contact me through My Blog or Twitter. Become a SQLskills Insider!
    Please click the Mark as Answer button if a post solves your problem!

Monday, November 14, 2011 1:23 AM