none
3197 error: The Microsoft Office Access database engine stopped the process because you and another user are attempting to change the same data at the same time.

Question

• Hi all,

I have a SQL Server 2005 back end and MS access 2002 front end. I have to compare table A with table B and update the records that are different in table B from table A.

While updating a bit field in table B, I am getting the error

3197 error: The Microsoft Office Access database engine stopped the process because you and another user are attempting to change the same data at the same time.

But when the row is directly updated in SQL server using the update query, it is getting updated.

I tried to use docmd.runsql in VBA code but got the same error.

I googled for it but the could not find a solution.

Kindly help. Thanks in advance.

Monday, June 13, 2011 10:24 AM

Answers

• Hi Teja,

Have you tried to change the ‘RecordLocks property’ of the form in front end? So that two users cannot simultaneously change the record. Please follow this online article for more helps
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb215995(v=office.12).aspx

If the above scenario did not work, it seems to be some level of corruption in your DB. If you can't repair and compact it, please put a backup back.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
    Peja

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Stephanie Lv Tuesday, June 28, 2011 8:58 AM
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 5:29 AM

All replies

• Have a read of this article as it may relate to your issue http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318882&Product=acc
    Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt) MCT, MCPD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    Monday, June 13, 2011 10:58 AM
  • @Wharton

I have tried the procedure explained in the link you gave but still i receive the same error. Can you suggest any other work around.

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 5:36 AM
  • Hi Teja,

Have you tried to change the ‘RecordLocks property’ of the form in front end? So that two users cannot simultaneously change the record. Please follow this online article for more helps
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb215995(v=office.12).aspx

If the above scenario did not work, it seems to be some level of corruption in your DB. If you can't repair and compact it, please put a backup back.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
    Peja

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Stephanie Lv Tuesday, June 28, 2011 8:58 AM
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 5:29 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.......

I have tested it on another record in the same table. It was updating fine.

What I noticed was that the length of the primary key in the failed record is big and that of the updateable record is small.

Is there any relation between the length and the updateable property?????

Monday, June 20, 2011 6:33 AM
  • Hello teja765,

Please, is the post from Peja Tao which permitted to solve your 3197 error ? If it is the case, could you mark the Peja Tao post as answer ? It is the simplest way to tell : thanks for your post which solved my problem...

Thanks beforehand

Have a nice day

Mark Post as helpful if it provides any help.Otherwise,leave it as it is.
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 7:13 PM