none
SSDT not fully funcitonal with SQL Server Express 2008

Question

• hello,

i recently installed SQL Server Data Tools on my system that already has Visual Studio 2010 and the included SQL Server Express 2008.   when i launch my web application in VS2010, i now see the SQL Server Object Explorer pane.  when i double click on a database table, the View Designer pane opens.   in the TSQL pane, i see that the column names are listed in black text, not green text.  when i right-click on a column hoping to do a refactor/rename, the menu item does not appear. 

SSDT is up to date with Data-Tier App Framework v11.1.2820.0.

is there something else i need to do to enable the right-click context menu?

thanks!

Saturday, December 08, 2012 2:00 AM

Answers

• If you want to use MDF files, Server Explorer is your only option. SQL Server Object Explorer will not allow you to connect to an MDF file, you would have to properly attach the database first.

-GertD @ www.sqlproj.com

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 7:10 PM

All replies

• Rae you certain you are using the SQL Server Object Explorer tool window and not the Server Explorer?

Reason I haver doubts that you are using the SQL Server Object Explorer is the statement that the View Designer pane opens, which is not hooked up to SQL Server Object Explorer, only to the Server Explorer.

-GertD @ www.sqlproj.com

Sunday, December 09, 2012 1:29 AM
  • i guess it is more like a window or tab that opens, but when i double-click on a table in the SQL Server Object Explorer or right-click the table on View Designer, the new tab opens with three panes.  at the bottom is the T-SQL pane.  when i try to rename a column by right-clicking, i see this:

also, in the SQL Server Object Explorer, the SQLEXPRESS database icon shows an emply white circle on the db icon. 

the Solution Explorer holds my web application with the .mdf database located in the App_Data directory.  do i need to change this setup? 

i have tried creating a new VS2010>File>New Project>Database>SQL Server>Advanced>SQL Server 2008 Database Project>OK.  When i create a test database with columns, i do see the right-click refactor option. 

The reason i am trying SSDT is gain the T-SQL Intellisense and refactoring/renaming features for my existing SQL Express database in my web application. 

Sunday, December 09, 2012 5:02 AM
  • You are in the SSDT table designer, rename refactoring from within the TSQL pane or the designer is only available in the project mode, not in online mode. You first have to create a project, then you can perform  a refactoring operation.

-GertD @ www.sqlproj.com

Sunday, December 09, 2012 6:02 PM
  • ok, but i already have a web project open and not connected, deployed, or online yet, just VS2010 running locally.  i am not sure how to get into project mode with my web application and its database open on my development machine.  i would also like to test the web application/database environment with sample data before using VS2010 "Web Deploy" to upload the project to the hosting provider.

Monday, December 10, 2012 5:02 AM
  • How and where do you maintain your database source code in that case when using Web Deploy?

-GertD @ www.sqlproj.com

Monday, December 10, 2012 5:09 AM
  • the database (.mdf) is in the App_Data directory under the existing web application project name.  i open the database using the Server Explorer>Data Connections>*.mdf.  From there i double-click tables, add stored procedures, run queries, etc.  the problem is that i do not gain the benefit of SSDT features. i thought i would gain those features after i installed the package and saw the "SQL" high-level menu item in VS2010.  so, that is where i am now - SSDT installed, but not much functionality within the web application development environment.
    Monday, December 10, 2012 6:54 AM
  • If you want to use MDF files, Server Explorer is your only option. SQL Server Object Explorer will not allow you to connect to an MDF file, you would have to properly attach the database first.

-GertD @ www.sqlproj.com

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 7:10 PM
  • ok, how would i make the change to my web app and mdf?  i would still need the web app design functionality and web deploy (1 click publish) in the project.  is this possible?
    Tuesday, December 11, 2012 7:59 PM