Here are some the checklist, I would like to suggest for people encounter PowerPivot add-in installation Issue.
1) Install .Net 3.5 SP1
2) Install Office 2010 Beta 2, please make sure Office Shared Tools portion is selected if you are customizing your installation.
The key piece we are looking for Visual Studio Tools for Office Runtime which is under Office Shared Tools.
3) If you are using XP please make sure you have XP SP3.
Matching Excel Architecture:
If you are installing x32 bit Excel, please choose x32 bit PowerPivt Addin.
Same holds good for x64 bit. Please match the appropriate version.
Gemini CTP2 or Office Beta 1;
PowerPivot Add-in will work only with Office Beta2.
In case you have older version on your please follow these steps,
1) If you are using Office Beta 1, un-install that
2) Un-install PowerPivot add-in
3) Delete the folder, Program files\Microsoft Analysis Services
if you have x64 bit box, also delete program files (x86)\Microsoft Analysis Services
4) Reboot the box
5) Install Office Beta2
6) Install Power Pivot add-in.
You cannot open Office Beta 1/Gemini aka PowerPivot CTP2 in CTP3.
You have verified all these and if you still can't see PowerPivot tab on Excel, please try the following steps and get back the error message.
1) Open My Computer Properties
2) Click on Advanced Tab
3) Click on the Environmental Variable
4) Click on New User Variable
5) Add VSTO_SUPPRESSDISPLAYALERTS with value 0 press OK
6) Repair PowerPivot For Excel from add/remove
7) Open Excel again, it will prompt an error message
Hope this helps.
Happy PowerPivoting :-)
I am 'dismayed' that the release of PowerPivot comes with a new and unexpected requirement - XP SP3. As I and many many other people, are locked out due to corporate restrictions, I have to ask - is there a work around or can we 'regrettably' find/reinstall Gemini to keep our work active?