none
Error- The report server cannot decrypt the symmetric key.

Question

• I am using SQL 2005, I am unable to take backup of the "Encrytion Key", When i try to take a backup i get the below error. Nor i have a backup of the key so that i can delete it. Please help.

ReportServicesConfigUI.WMIProvider.WMIProviderException: The report server cannot decrypt the symmetric key used to access sensitive or encrypted data in a report server database. You must either restore a backup key or delete all encrypted content. Check the documentation for more information. (rsReportServerDisabled)
       at ReportServicesConfigUI.WMIProvider.RSReportServerAdmin.ThrowOnError(ManagementBaseObject mo)
       at ReportServicesConfigUI.WMIProvider.RSReportServerAdmin.BackupEncryptionKey(Byte[]& encryptedBytes, String password)

====================================

And on SCOM server under reporting tab i get below error,

Date: 8/24/2009 8:36:49 PM
    Application: System Center Operations Manager 2007
    Application Version: 6.0.6278.0
    Severity: Error

System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: The report server cannot decrypt the symmetric key used to access sensitive or encrypted data in a report server database. You must either restore a backup key or delete all encrypted content. Check the documentation for more information. (rsReportServerDisabled) ---> The report server cannot decrypt the symmetric key used to access sensitive or encrypted data in a report server database. You must either restore a backup key or delete all encrypted content. Check the documentation for more information. (rsReportServerDisabled) ---> The report server cannot decrypt the symmetric key used to access sensitive or encrypted data in a report server database. You must either restore a backup key or delete all encrypted content. Check the documentation for more information. (rsReportServerDisabled) ---> Bad Data. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80090005)
       at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall)
       at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Mom.Internal.UI.Reporting.ReportingService.ReportingService2005.ListChildren(String Item, Boolean Recursive)
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Mom.Internal.UI.Reporting.ManagementGroupReportFolder.GetSubfolders(Boolean includeHidden)
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Mom.Internal.UI.Reporting.WunderBar.ReportingPage.LoadReportingSubtree(TreeNode node, ManagementGroupReportFolder folder)
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Mom.Internal.UI.Reporting.WunderBar.ReportingPage.LoadReportingTree(ManagementGroupReportFolder folder)
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Mom.Internal.UI.Reporting.WunderBar.ReportingPage.LoadReportingTreeJob(Object sender, ConsoleJobEventArgs args)

Please help

Thank You
    Govardhan

Tuesday, August 25, 2009 3:43 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

I am using SQL 2005, I am unable to take backup of the "Encrytion Key", When i try to take a backup i get the below error. Nor i have a backup of the key so that i can delete it. Please help.

ReportServicesConfigUI.WMIProvider.WMIProviderException: The report server cannot decrypt the symmetric key used to access sensitive or encrypted data in a report server database. You must either restore a backup key or delete all encrypted content. Check the documentation for more information. (rsReportServerDisabled)
       at ReportServicesConfigUI.WMIProvider.RSReportServerAdmin.ThrowOnError(ManagementBaseObject mo)
       at ReportServicesConfigUI.WMIProvider.RSReportServerAdmin.BackupEncryptionKey(Byte[]& encryptedBytes, String password)

====================================

And on SCOM server under reporting tab i get below error,

Date: 8/24/2009 8:36:49 PM
    Application: System Center Operations Manager 2007
    Application Version: 6.0.6278.0
    Severity: Error

System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: The report server cannot decrypt the symmetric key used to access sensitive or encrypted data in a report server database. You must either restore a backup key or delete all encrypted content. Check the documentation for more information. (rsReportServerDisabled) ---> The report server cannot decrypt the symmetric key used to access sensitive or encrypted data in a report server database. You must either restore a backup key or delete all encrypted content. Check the documentation for more information. (rsReportServerDisabled) ---> The report server cannot decrypt the symmetric key used to access sensitive or encrypted data in a report server database. You must either restore a backup key or delete all encrypted content. Check the documentation for more information. (rsReportServerDisabled) ---> Bad Data. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80090005)
       at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall)
       at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Mom.Internal.UI.Reporting.ReportingService.ReportingService2005.ListChildren(String Item, Boolean Recursive)
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Mom.Internal.UI.Reporting.ManagementGroupReportFolder.GetSubfolders(Boolean includeHidden)
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Mom.Internal.UI.Reporting.WunderBar.ReportingPage.LoadReportingSubtree(TreeNode node, ManagementGroupReportFolder folder)
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Mom.Internal.UI.Reporting.WunderBar.ReportingPage.LoadReportingTree(ManagementGroupReportFolder folder)
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Mom.Internal.UI.Reporting.WunderBar.ReportingPage.LoadReportingTreeJob(Object sender, ConsoleJobEventArgs args)

Please help

Thank You
    Govardhan

Tuesday, August 25, 2009 3:41 AM
  • Tuesday, August 25, 2009 5:13 AM