none
Community question: SQL 2008 to 2012 leaning curve

Question

• Hi,

How steep is the learning curve from sql 2008 r2 to 2012? 

I have done series of projects using sql 2008 (TSQL, SSIS,SSRS, SSAS) and I wonder how fast I can upgrade my knowledge to SQL 2012?

Thank you,

Thursday, March 29, 2012 12:22 AM

Answers

• Yeah, your knowledge from SQL Server 2008 can easily be taken to SQL Server 2012.

The percentage of the new concepts is depending on your working area.

If you're working in the BI area you will have to learn more (like the Tabular model).
    If you're a DBA you should become familiar with AlwaysOn.
    If you're a database developer you should have a look at the new features of the database engine (like Columnstore indexes and the new spatial subtypes).

So, in my opinion if you're a BI developer you will have to learn the most in comparison to the other two (I think that the percentage between DBA and database developers is nearly the same).

Best Regards. When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer. This helps us build a healthy and positive community.

• Marked as answer by amx2012 Saturday, March 31, 2012 2:54 PM
    Friday, March 30, 2012 12:36 AM

All replies

• Hi,

in my opinion you can become familiar with the new features in SQL Server 2012 very fast. For the BI components it can take a while, for example with the Tabular Model in SSAS, but if you have worked with PowerPivot before you can easily adopt some concepts.

I would recommend that you go through the SQL Server Books Online and additional look for some articles about the new features in SQL Server 2012 (like Columnstore Index, File Tables, and AlwaysOn). Have a look at their explanations and play a bit with them. With that you should easily be up to date.

Best Regards. When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer. This helps us build a healthy and positive community.

Thursday, March 29, 2012 10:30 AM
  • Hi Horizon,

Can I assume that everyhing I already know about 2008r2 applies to 2012 and there are x% new concepts to learn?

How big is x?

Thank you,

Thursday, March 29, 2012 9:04 PM
  • Yeah, your knowledge from SQL Server 2008 can easily be taken to SQL Server 2012.

The percentage of the new concepts is depending on your working area.

If you're working in the BI area you will have to learn more (like the Tabular model).
    If you're a DBA you should become familiar with AlwaysOn.
    If you're a database developer you should have a look at the new features of the database engine (like Columnstore indexes and the new spatial subtypes).

So, in my opinion if you're a BI developer you will have to learn the most in comparison to the other two (I think that the percentage between DBA and database developers is nearly the same).

• Marked as answer by amx2012 Saturday, March 31, 2012 2:54 PM
    Friday, March 30, 2012 12:36 AM
  • Thanks Horizon,

How about SSIS, are there significant chnages and new features?

Saturday, March 31, 2012 2:55 PM
  • There are several improvements like a new design surface, undo & redo functionality, enhanced copy & paste, and script tasks now using .NET 4.

For more information I would recommend the SSIS Team Blog - http://blogs.msdn.com/b/mattm/archive/2011/11/17/what-s-new-in-ssis-for-sql-server-2012-rc0.aspx

Saturday, March 31, 2012 4:13 PM
  • There are a couple of ways to get a handle on the scope of changes from the SQL Server 2012 Books Online.

First, we publish a set of What's New topics that you can review for new features you might want to take advantage of. They are all linked from this topic:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb500435(sql.110).aspx

The more immediate driver for having to relearn stuff is looking for breaking changes such as features that were removed from SQL Server 2012. You can review the lists of those types of issues from the SQL Server 2012 Backward Compatibilty topic:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc707787(sql.110).aspx

Alan Brewer [MSFT] SQL Server Documentation Team This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Proposed as answer by Horizon_NetMVP Sunday, April 01, 2012 10:08 AM
    Saturday, March 31, 2012 8:55 PM