none
Schema Compare does not support the specified database. Sql Azure

Question

• Hi

Is it in the road map to get Schema Compare / Data compare working between SQL 2008 and SQL Azure? At present when I go to pick a Azure db, I get the message Schema Compare does not support the specified database.  Is there another tool I should be using to do these tasks?  at present I am having to rely on the sql migration wizard on code plex to pull down the db's then diff them locally, realizing 2008 to azure schema / data may be a streach as the underlying technologies are so differnt - though I think red gate has something, will there be a azure to azure at a minum coming soon... or is there one already, as I am only using the latest Juneau release.

Thanks,

Deva Wijewickrema

Deva Wijewickrema
    Monday, August 29, 2011 11:07 AM

Answers

• Hi @Deva

What Visual Studio profile are you using, and where did you start schema compare from?

If you're using General Development, C#, VB (or in fact anything other than SQL Server profile) in CTP3, you will see the "Data Dude" Schema and Data Compare experience if you enter via the Schema Compare menu item on the "Data" menu. The "Data Dude" Schema Compare doesn't support SQL Azure comparison, but the SQL Server Developer Tools, Code-named "Juneau" CTP3 Schema Compare does.

To access the SSDT CTP3 Schema Compare, try starting your schema comparison from the SQL Server node in the Server Explorer - you should be able to add your SQL 2008 and SQL Azure databases to the SQL Server node, then use right-click on your selected database to commence Schema Comparison. This will show you the SQL Server Data Tools, Code-named "Juneau", CTP3 schema compare UI rather than the "Data Dude" schema compare UI.

Data comparison is not enabled in the CTP3 release, but as with Schema Compare you still have access to the released "Data Dude" Data Comparison feature from the Data menu. As with Schema Compare, it won't support SQL Azure at present.

We recognize that the Data Menu in these scenarios is currently not a good experience, and we are looking to improve the situation in future releases.

Thanks

Mark

Mark Wilson-Thomas Program Manager, SQL Server Developer Tools Team
    Friday, September 02, 2011 12:52 AM

All replies

• Hi @Deva

What Visual Studio profile are you using, and where did you start schema compare from?

If you're using General Development, C#, VB (or in fact anything other than SQL Server profile) in CTP3, you will see the "Data Dude" Schema and Data Compare experience if you enter via the Schema Compare menu item on the "Data" menu. The "Data Dude" Schema Compare doesn't support SQL Azure comparison, but the SQL Server Developer Tools, Code-named "Juneau" CTP3 Schema Compare does.

To access the SSDT CTP3 Schema Compare, try starting your schema comparison from the SQL Server node in the Server Explorer - you should be able to add your SQL 2008 and SQL Azure databases to the SQL Server node, then use right-click on your selected database to commence Schema Comparison. This will show you the SQL Server Data Tools, Code-named "Juneau", CTP3 schema compare UI rather than the "Data Dude" schema compare UI.

Data comparison is not enabled in the CTP3 release, but as with Schema Compare you still have access to the released "Data Dude" Data Comparison feature from the Data menu. As with Schema Compare, it won't support SQL Azure at present.

We recognize that the Data Menu in these scenarios is currently not a good experience, and we are looking to improve the situation in future releases.

Thanks

Mark

Mark Wilson-Thomas Program Manager, SQL Server Developer Tools Team
    Friday, September 02, 2011 12:52 AM
  • Hi Mark,

when you say data comparison is not enable in ctp3, is that something that vs user can easily tweak? i am using the latest ctp, i think its ctp4.. i have a need to do this. hope u would be able to help..

Thanks,

Ronnel

Monday, December 05, 2011 6:04 AM
  • Hi Mark,

I'm really glad to come across this forum post.  I was wondering, is SQL Azure being developed by a different team than Juneau?  As a developer, should I be following the Juneau release more closely than SQL Azure?  The reason I ask, is that I've come across this same issue that Deva mentions, and I am wondering if I am going down the wrong path by having our team invest in SQL Azure knowledge.  I have written about this experience here:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ssdsgetstarted/thread/78372860-c4f7-4194-b9f6-0eb3f2d8092c/

Thanks,

Matt

Monday, December 05, 2011 1:14 PM
  • Hi Mark,

when you say data comparison is not enable in ctp3, is that something that vs user can easily tweak? i am using the latest ctp, i think its ctp4.. i have a need to do this. hope u would be able to help..

Thanks,

Ronnel

If you have CTP4 installed, you have a SQL menu, and you need to make sure that you select Schema Compare from the SQL menu, from the SQL Server Object Explorer or from the Project Explorer when you have an SSDT project (*.sqlproj) open. Otherwise you will load the old Visual Studio Database Projects which do not support SQL Azure or SQL Server 2012.

-GertD @ www.sqlproj.com
    Wednesday, December 07, 2011 8:09 AM