none
dropdown length- allow multiple values

Question

• Hi,
    The report has two parameters.
    Date and clients
    The client parameter is a dropdown list which has been set to "Allow Balnk Value".
    On selecting the Date, the clients dropdown is populated with clients AND the length of the dropdown control goes as wide as the client names.

Question:
    If for the client dropdown list, I set the parameter to "Allow multiple values", then on selecting a Date, the clients list populates BUT it does not go as wide as the clients width. It seems that the width is set to a default width.
    HOw can the width of the client dropdown be changed when the setting is set to allow multiple values.
    Thanks

Tuesday, May 07, 2013 10:36 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

If you had specify available values for a parameter, the valid values always appear as a drop-down list on the reportviewer toolbar.
    If I understand correctly, the "clients width" you siad means the count number of values in the drop-down list. If so, it is based on the available values your specify for the parameter.
    Did you specify cascading parameters in the report? For example, the values display in the "Clients" drop-down list is based on the values selected in the "Date" parameter.
    Please post more details about your issue, so we can help to work out this issue.

Reference:http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd220464(v=sql.105).aspx

Regards,
    Fanny Liu

If you have any feedback on our support, please clickhere.

Fanny Liu
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, May 08, 2013 2:37 AM
  • Hello,

If you had specify available values for a parameter, the valid values always appear as a drop-down list on the reportviewer toolbar.
    If I understand correctly, the "clients width" you siad means the count number of values in the drop-down list. If so, it is based on the available values your specify for the parameter.
    Did you specify cascading parameters in the report? For example, the values display in the "Clients" drop-down list is based on the values selected in the "Date" parameter.
    Please post more details about your issue, so we can help to work out this issue.

Reference:http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd220464(v=sql.105).aspx

Regards,
    Fanny Liu

If you have any feedback on our support, please clickhere.

Fanny Liu

Hi,
    I think you mis-understood.
    I mean the dropdown list that I get populated basically is short in width which means I do not see the clients full names.
    What do I do to make sure I see all the full length of the names?
    Thanks
    Wednesday, May 08, 2013 9:44 AM
  • you can do this by two ways I am goin to explain easier one make your report cascaded I meant you have used two parameters Date and clients Now On client selection create sub dataset which will give only those clients who are present in that Date selection which will help you give your reoport faster 

Wednesday, May 08, 2013 11:00 AM
  • you can do this by two ways I am goin to explain easier one make your report cascaded I meant you have used two parameters Date and clients Now On client selection create sub dataset which will give only those clients who are present in that Date selection which will help you give your reoport faster 

Your reply is NOT relevant to my question.
    Wednesday, May 08, 2013 11:10 AM
  • Hello,

Sorry for my misunderstanding.

As per my knowledge, it is not support to change the width of the parameter box in toolbar. If you want to customize the toolbar, you can use the Report Viewer control in Visual Studio to display the report and design the custom parameter area.

The foolowing thread is about similar issue, please refer to:
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/sqlreportingservices/thread/40015ad0-f6c8-4b97-9dd8-f1c8a6283d38

Regards,
    Fanny Liu

If you have any feedback on our support, please click  here.

Fanny Liu

Thursday, May 09, 2013 6:39 AM
  • Hello,

Sorry for my misunderstanding.

As per my knowledge, it is not support to change the width of the parameter box in toolbar. If you want to customize the toolbar, you can use the Report Viewer control in Visual Studio to display the report and design the custom parameter area.

The foolowing thread is about similar issue, please refer to:
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/sqlreportingservices/thread/40015ad0-f6c8-4b97-9dd8-f1c8a6283d38

Regards,
    Fanny Liu

If you have any feedback on our support, please click  here.

Fanny Liu

Hi, I think you still mis-understand my initial question in this post.
    Please do the following to replicate my issue:
    In ssrs report, create a dataset which populates custID and customerNames. This drop down should display the customerNames.
    Make sure the customerNames are say over 50 characters long each...
    Make sure one of the parameters in this report is @CustID with settings to be allow multiple values.
    This allows you to see checkBoxes next to each CustomerName in the dropdown list when it is populated.
    Now, once you have done all the above, do you see the full length of the customerNames ? Because I do not. thanks

Thursday, May 09, 2013 7:56 AM
  • Have you tried dragging the corner of the drop-down box to resize it? I can do this in both BIDS and after the report has been deployed to report manager. You can only do this if it's a multi-select parameter, which is what I understand you have.
    Thursday, May 09, 2013 10:11 PM
  • Have you tried dragging the corner of the drop-down box to resize it? I can do this in both BIDS and after the report has been deployed to report manager. You can only do this if it's a multi-select parameter, which is what I understand you have.

In design view, it does not show the dropdown list on the report.

The parameters names are in the Report Data window on the left.
    It only shows the controls once the report is run in the preview.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks

Friday, May 10, 2013 7:36 AM
  • What I meant was, that you can resize the drop-down list only after previewing the report. This means  that every time the report is run, the list needs to be resized - I haven't found a way to get SSRS to save the resized list, unfortunately.

Sunday, May 12, 2013 8:49 PM
  • Hello,

Just as Kiwi_Smith post above, you can resize the drop-down list in Preview mode. Currently, the width of the drop-down list is by design and it is not support dynamic width based on the values of parameter.

Personally, I recommend you that submit the requirement at https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/.  If the requirement mentioned by customers for many times, the product team may consider to add this feature in the next SQL Server version. Your feedback is valuable for us to improve our products and increase the level of service provided.

Regards,
    Fanny Liu

If you have any feedback on our support, please click  here.

Fanny Liu

Monday, May 13, 2013 1:31 AM