none
Master Thesis Data Mining in Project Management

Question

• Hi Experts,

as i have to write my master thesis now, i got a topic named "data mining in the environment of project management".
    Can you as an Expert suggest what kind of results or directions a master thesis like this should have or could lead to?
    With what kind of algorithm or method can i raise results like "projects end up in time when employees are well motivated"?

Thank you in advance for your help!!

Alex
    Thursday, September 18, 2008 12:43 PM

Answers

• If you ahve the results of many projects you can encode them in some meaningful way - e.g. "Project Ended On Time", "Employees Were Motivated", "People worked overtime", etc. and then run clustering and decision tree algorithms to learn about the relationships between the attributes.  I would recommend using the data mining addins (or the cloud data mining addins, even) to use the Table Analysis Tools to get a quick idea of what the data looks like.

Tuesday, September 23, 2008 4:21 PM

• Take a look at Organizational Citizenship Behavior research in Industrial Organizational psychology it covers this fuzzy subjective area you are looking at. Also review Mythical Man Month (book) the research in their still holds true today such as adding developer to a project more then 20% complete only succeeds in slowing down the project.

If you combine the two you should a a list of quantitative points to look at for your thesis.

Remember to snowball your research and read the articles cited in the papers you quote to find other directions or more information, this helped me when I worked on my thesis.

Best of luck!

Tuesday, September 23, 2008 7:10 PM

All replies

• If you ahve the results of many projects you can encode them in some meaningful way - e.g. "Project Ended On Time", "Employees Were Motivated", "People worked overtime", etc. and then run clustering and decision tree algorithms to learn about the relationships between the attributes.  I would recommend using the data mining addins (or the cloud data mining addins, even) to use the Table Analysis Tools to get a quick idea of what the data looks like.

Tuesday, September 23, 2008 4:21 PM

• Take a look at Organizational Citizenship Behavior research in Industrial Organizational psychology it covers this fuzzy subjective area you are looking at. Also review Mythical Man Month (book) the research in their still holds true today such as adding developer to a project more then 20% complete only succeeds in slowing down the project.

If you combine the two you should a a list of quantitative points to look at for your thesis.

Remember to snowball your research and read the articles cited in the papers you quote to find other directions or more information, this helped me when I worked on my thesis.

Best of luck!

Tuesday, September 23, 2008 7:10 PM

Best of luck!

~Dave

Tuesday, September 23, 2008 7:11 PM