none
Power View not working- can the reason be interference?

Question

• Power View working  with BISM on SharePoint Server.

Installed an instance of SQL Server 2012 in Native Mode (Database Enginee+SSRNative) on the same machine.

Now I can test the Model data source on SharePoint and verify it connects to SQL Server Analysis Server's Tabular Model Database.

When I try to create a Power View Report in SharePoint Server, I get an error.

The other reports (non Power View) are displaying.

Power View Error

Where would I start looking for what happenned. The two things that happenned are,

Installed the Native Mode Instance. Is  there a possibility of interference?

There was a Windows Critical Update on 3/26/2013.

on 3/27/2013I get the Power View Error.

Native & SharePoint Instances

mysorian

As I suspected the Windows Update (critical!!!) was the suspect. When I restored the computer to a date before the update when Power View was working, Power View did not throw the error.

Q.E.D Windows Critical Update is suspect.

Thursday, March 28, 2013 9:01 PM

Answers

• Hi Jayaram,

Since SQL Server 2012 Reporting Services, the SharePoint integrated mode and the Native mode report servers run independently. The issue may occur due to the installation of the Reporting Services Add-in for SharePoint. Is SQL Server 2012 Service Pack 1 installed? If not, it is recommended that you got it installed. The SQL Server 2012 SP1 introduced new features to Power View. Here, I suggest that you uninstall the current Reporting Services Add-in for SharePoint, install SQL Server 2012 SP1, and then install the SQL Server 2012 Reporting Services Add-in for SharePoint from:
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35583

Then, please create the Reporting Services Service Application referring to the following document:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg492276.aspx#bkmk_create_serrviceapplication

If the issue persists, please post the error details in the Reporting Services Log file which is located in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\WebServices\LogFiles (SharePoint 2010) or C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\15\WebServices\LogFiles (SharePoint 2013).

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Mike Yin
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, April 01, 2013 8:58 AM
  • Finally found a way to fix it!!!

Run the following program from the Start | All Programs | Microsoft SharePoint 2010 Products folder.

SharePoint 2010 Products Configuration

That will fix it. I think one of the Windows Critical Updates upset the Apple Cart.

mysorian

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 9:29 PM

All replies

• Hi Jayaram,

Since SQL Server 2012 Reporting Services, the SharePoint integrated mode and the Native mode report servers run independently. The issue may occur due to the installation of the Reporting Services Add-in for SharePoint. Is SQL Server 2012 Service Pack 1 installed? If not, it is recommended that you got it installed. The SQL Server 2012 SP1 introduced new features to Power View. Here, I suggest that you uninstall the current Reporting Services Add-in for SharePoint, install SQL Server 2012 SP1, and then install the SQL Server 2012 Reporting Services Add-in for SharePoint from:
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35583

Then, please create the Reporting Services Service Application referring to the following document:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg492276.aspx#bkmk_create_serrviceapplication

If the issue persists, please post the error details in the Reporting Services Log file which is located in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\WebServices\LogFiles (SharePoint 2010) or C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\15\WebServices\LogFiles (SharePoint 2013).

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Mike Yin
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, April 01, 2013 8:58 AM
  • It is good know other ways of installing. But it will nice to find out why a certain thing that worked suddenly comes up with this. Someone must have programmed the error message to show up, but under what circumstances?

Why?

mysorian

Sunday, April 07, 2013 8:55 PM
  • Finally found a way to fix it!!!

Run the following program from the Start | All Programs | Microsoft SharePoint 2010 Products folder.

SharePoint 2010 Products Configuration

That will fix it. I think one of the Windows Critical Updates upset the Apple Cart.

mysorian

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 9:29 PM