none
SQL Server Autentication (2008 R2): error number 233

Question

• I'm trying to connect to SQL using SQL Management Studio Express (Windows 7) with server autentication, but I got the following error message:

Details
    Product: SQL Server
    ID: 233
    Source: MSSQLServer
    Version: 9.0 => (Yes, my SQLServer Express Edition is 2008 R2)
    Component: SQLEngine
    Message: A connection was successfully established with the server, but then an error occurred during the login process. (provider: Shared Memory Provider, error: 0 - No process is on the other end of the pipe.) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 233)

Explanation

The SQL Server client cannot connect to the server. This error could occur because the server is not configured to accept remote connections.

User Action

Use the SQL Server Surface Area Configuration tool to allow SQL Server to accept remote connections. For more information about the SQL Server Surface Area Configuration Tool, see Surface Area Configuration for Services and Connections.

I set (using Sql Server Configuration Manager) protocols for SQLEXPRESS: Shared Memory = enabled, Named Pipes = enabled TCP/IP = enabled and Client Protocols: Shared Memory = enabled, Named Pipes = enabled TCP/IP = enabled.

Any suggestion about what's going on?

Many thanks for any kind of help.

Best regards,

Ciro
    • Edited by Oric.CQ Wednesday, November 16, 2011 11:28 PM
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 11:27 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I forgot to tell you, that I was trying to access the server using the TeamViewer application. May this be the cause?

Best regards,

Ciro
    • Edited by Oric.CQ Thursday, November 17, 2011 1:50 PM
    Thursday, November 17, 2011 1:44 PM
  • Hello,

SQL Server 2008 R2 has a version of 10.5

The 9.0 version is for the SQL Server 2005

For your error ,i would suggest :

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms175496(v=SQL.90).aspx

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sql_protocols/archive/2005/10/22/sql-server-2005-connectivity-issue-troubleshoot-part-i.aspx ( see Message 4 )

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sql_protocols/archive/2006/07/26/678596.aspx ( more vicious..)

I found nothing about TeamViewer interesting SQL Server except maybe a control on remote connections

Have checked if your sql server instance accepts remote connections ?

Please, could you tell us why you are using SQL Server authentification ? ( maybe , you are not in a Windows domain, only a workgroup, so you have to use SQL Server authentification )

Please, could you explain if the SQL Server instance is installed on your computer or on another computer ?

We are waiting for your feedback to try to help you more efficiently.

Have a nice day

Mark Post as helpful if it provides any help.Otherwise,leave it as it is.
    Thursday, November 17, 2011 9:16 PM
  • right click on server property and then to connection and see if remote connection is checked or not.
    Friday, November 18, 2011 5:56 AM
  • Hi Oric,

Here is a good link could help you: http://csharpdotnetfreak.blogspot.com/2010/01/sql-server-shared-memory-provider-error.html.

Thanks,
    Maggie

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, November 18, 2011 6:52 AM
  • Hi,

I forgot to tell you, that I was trying to access the server using the TeamViewer application. May this be the cause?

Best regards,

Ciro

teamviewer is applciation to take remote control on the machine, still there will be no issue with that. did u check mssql services is running..?

• Edited by skc_chat Friday, November 18, 2011 7:02 AM
    Friday, November 18, 2011 7:02 AM
  • Papy, thanks to reply!

The is SQL Server is realy 2008 R2. It showed me a link to get more information about the error. As a result, I got a web page with the content that I copied at my first post.

...Have checked if your sql server instance accepts remote connections ? Yes

...Please, could you tell us why you are using SQL Server authentification ? ( maybe , you are not in a Windows domain, only a workgroup, so you have to use SQL Server authentification ) Because my application needs to access SQL Server using this type of authentication.

...Please, could you explain if the SQL Server instance is installed on your computer or on another computer ? Another computer

Best regards,

Ciro
    Friday, November 18, 2011 12:59 PM
  • skc_chat, thanks to reply!

The option Access Remote Connection is checked.

Best regards,

Ciro
    Friday, November 18, 2011 1:00 PM
  • Hi Maggie!

I think the post is for SQL Server 2005.

Best regards,

Ciro
    Friday, November 18, 2011 1:06 PM
  • did u check mssql services is running..?
    Monday, November 21, 2011 5:17 AM
  • Hi Oric,

The article Connect Error 233 No process at the other end of the pipe could be helpful: http://www.sqlmusings.com/2011/06/25/connection-error-233-no-process-at-the-other-end-of-the-pipe/.

Thanks,
    Maggie

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, November 22, 2011 9:49 AM
  • I was just getting the same error because I was logging into a db with sql authenication but the server was setup to accept only windows authentication.  I'm not sure if that's the answer to your issue, but maybe...
    Saturday, November 26, 2011 1:21 AM
  • dssdb_bd, thanks to replay!

Unfortunately, It's not my case.

Best regards,

Ciro
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 6:15 PM
  • Hi Oric,

Any progress? It seems that you used SQL Server Management Studio of SQL Server 2008 R2 Express to connect to a SQL Server 2005 instance remotely. You need to use the SQL Server Surface Area Configure tool to allow the instance of SQL Server 2005 accept remote connections.
    The first link I gave you is about how to configure the SQL Server 2005 instance you want connect.

If you have any problem, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks,
    Maggie

Wednesday, December 07, 2011 5:28 AM
  • Hi, Meggie!

Unfortunately, no.

Management Studio and Server are 2008.

I think the problem is because de remote access: my computer access other computer (via TeamViewer), that access a thrid computer where the server and management studio are located.

Many thanks for your reply.

Best regards,
    Ciro
    Friday, December 16, 2011 7:45 PM
  • are you checking all the setting to your computer or other computer access (via TeamViewer),

you need to check SQL setting for other computer access (TeamViewer) one , not the computer you have.

as per my understanding team viewer is just to take remote access and taking control and you will work virtually on this.

Tuesday, December 20, 2011 10:29 AM