none
MS SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition failed to connect to a Database Engine.

Question

• Hello Everybody; my name is rudy  and i am new working with MS SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition. and i have a little problem to connect to a Database Engine. hoping you guys helping me with this.

i have the following configuration on my PC:

System Type: 32 Bit Operating System

MS SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition was installed succesfully on windows vista
    MS SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition Service Pack 2 was installed Succesfully
    MS Analysis Server connects Good
    MS Integration Services Connects Good
    ALL Services are running on MS SQL Server Configuration Manager with the exception with full text search which service it is been stopped.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    they problem is when i try to access to the Database Engine shows the following error:

===================================

Login failed for user 'RUDYMONCADA\Office Depot'. (.Net SqlClient Data Provider)

------------------------------

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=18456&LinkId=20476

Server Name: rudymoncada\saturn

Error Number: 18456

Severity: 14

State: 1

Line Number: 65536

Program Location:

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)

at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj)

at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj)

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.CompleteLogin(Boolean enlistOK)

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.AttemptOneLogin(ServerInfo serverInfo, String newPassword, Boolean ignoreSniOpenTimeout, Int64 timerExpire, SqlConnection owningObject)

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.LoginNoFailover(String host, String newPassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance, SqlConnection owningObject, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, Int64 timerStart)

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.OpenLoginEnlist(SqlConnection owningObject, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, String newPassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance)

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds..ctor(DbConnectionPoolIdentity identity, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, Object providerInfo, String newPassword, SqlConnection owningObject, Boolean redirectedUserInstance)

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionFactory.CreateConnection(DbConnectionOptions options, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection owningConnection)

at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.CreateNonPooledConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionPoolGroup poolGroup)

at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetConnection(DbConnection owningConnection)

at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenConnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory)

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open()

at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.ObjectExplorer.ObjectExplorer.ValidateConnection(UIConnectionInfo ci, IServerType server)

at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.ObjectExplorer.ObjectExplorer.ConnectToServer(Object connectionInfo, IDbConnection liveConnection, Boolean validateConnection)

Details

Product:

SQL Server

ID:

Source:

MSSQLServer

Version:

Component:

SQLEngine

Symbolic Name:

LOGON_FAILED

Login failed for user '%.*ls'.%.*ls

Explanation

When a connection attempt is rejected because of an authentication failure that involves a bad password or user name, a message similar to the following is returned to the client: "Login failed for user ''. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 18456)".

Additional information returned to the client includes the following:

"Login failed for user ''. (.Net SqlClient Data Provider)"

"Server Name: "

"Error Number: 18456"

"Severity: 14"

"State: 1"

"Line Number: 65536"

The following message might also be returned:

"Msg 18456, Level 14, State 1, Server , Line 1"

"Login failed for user ''."

User Action

If you are trying to connect using SQL Server Authentication, verify that SQL Server is configured in Mixed Authentication Mode.

If you are trying to connect using SQL Server Authentication, verify that SQL Server login exists and that you have spelled it properly.

If you are trying to connect using Windows Authentication, verify that you are properly logged into the correct domain.

If your error indicates state 1, contact your SQL Server administrator.

Version:

Component:

SQL Server Database Engine

Login failed for user '%.*ls'.%.*ls

Explanation

Error MSSQL_ENG018456 is raised whenever a login attempt fails. If the error message includes the account distributor_admin (Login failed for user 'distributor_admin'.), the issue is with an account used by replication. Replication creates a remote server, repl_distributor , which allows communication between the Distributor and Publisher. The login distributor_admin is associated with this remote server and must have a valid password.

Note:

In versions prior to Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Service Pack 3 (SP3), it was possible to specify that this connection was trusted and did not require a password. If you are upgrading from a previous version, you must now specify a password.

User Action

Ensure that you have specified a password for this account. For more information, see Securing the Distributor

Monday, March 09, 2009 1:30 AM

Answers

• Mr Aaron Alton; Thanks for your help and your time. i finally connect to a Database Engine, the problem was a UAC (User Account Control) on Windows Vista was enable ( Turn ON) when i  downloaded MS SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition Service Pack 2. apparently with MS Windows Vista in order for the downloads to take effect the UAC has to be dissable ( Turn Off). now i have Full access and  control of Database Engine. Thanks to Microsoft's Personnel to  maintain this website.

Rudy Moncada

Tuesday, March 10, 2009 6:49 PM

All replies

• Hi Rudy,

Does the login that you're using have access to the SQL Server?  You need to explicitly create the login in SQL Server, unless you're a local administrator.

You can use the Surface Area Configuration Tool in SQL 2005 to "add a new administrator", and add the login (if this is what you wish to do).  If you don't want to add the login as an administrator (sysadmin), then connect using an administrative login and explicitly set up a login.

Does this help?
    Aaron Alton | thehobt.blogspot.com
    Monday, March 09, 2009 3:35 AM
  • Mr Aaron Alton; Thanks for your help and your time. i finally connect to a Database Engine, the problem was a UAC (User Account Control) on Windows Vista was enable ( Turn ON) when i  downloaded MS SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition Service Pack 2. apparently with MS Windows Vista in order for the downloads to take effect the UAC has to be dissable ( Turn Off). now i have Full access and  control of Database Engine. Thanks to Microsoft's Personnel to  maintain this website.

Rudy Moncada

Tuesday, March 10, 2009 6:49 PM